The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet Training - Boys V Girls ...

Winslow Mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[i've also posted this on the Whippet Forum, so apologies if you've seen it before. Do the two link automatically?]

I've been reading all the posts in this section with great interest (not sure what that says about me...)

We're about to get our first whippet pup and I'm wondering if people had any opinions on which sex was easier to housetrain?

And once they are housetrained -- do the dogs want to mark EVERYTHING, like some breeds? Can the girls go for longer without a wee? Who has the most 'little accidents'?

Thank you.

I would say that of all the different breeds of dog that I have had from puppies whippets seem by far the easier to housetrain.

As far as the difference between dogs and bitches are concerned, I have only ever had dogs. I have found them to be quite easy and quick to pick up the idea of asking to go out. All my pups have slept through the night immediately without the need to be taken out during the night despite not being crated. Diesel is now almost nine months old and has not had an accident for at least the last five months.

The only dog I have had who marked was Beau. He came to me at 13 months old as a rescue. On that very first day he came in and marked the wall in the lounge, even though he had just been taken out.. We ignored it and he has never done it since. He is now eight and a half.

I have 3 girls and a boy. I housetrained by putting them out every hour (or half hour when younger), standing with them saying "go wee wee" etc, and praising prolifically when the desired result was achieved :thumbsup: If they have an accident inddors, I do not react at all. Just pretend it hasn't happened and clean it up.

The first girl arrived at 9 weeks old and was perfect and completely clean, and asking to go out, before she was 11 weeks old :D :wub:

The second girl was already 4 months old when she arrived and it took no longer than a week for her to become clean :thumbsup:

The boy was 3 months old when he arrived and I have to say, he took quite a while to become clean and I remember being exceedingly frustrated at times :wacko: He is now nearly 7 months old and has recently marked indoors a couple of times because one my bitches has just come into her first season :(

The third bitch has been a nightmare (w00t) She seemed to have no inkling whatsoever and just squatted wherever and whenever the urge came :blink: I have had her since she was 10 weeks old and I still have to be very careful to put her outside when I think she will need to "go", as she doesn't ask to go out :( .... but she is only 4 months old so I'm sure she will be completely clean soon :)

So I think it's the luck of the draw really ......... although, in general, I would favour bitches over dogs for savvy with their housetraining :D

Good luck with your new whippet - whichever they may be :luck: :luck: :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've raised both and I have to say that sex doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Some dogs are cleaner than others is what it really boils down to. Having said that, I have found that spring and summer pups are easier as the weather's usually nicer. :- " Some dogs mark because they're nervous and some because they're dominant. Talk to lots of breeders about temperament and health before you get your pup. :thumbsup:

Hmmm...I seem to have had the opposite experience. It has taken a while for the whippet boys I've had to pick up toilet training, and believe me I did the going out frequently and praising madly with my second one. I think it helps if you have a pup that has been born and reared indoors rather than in kennels.

Also, if the weather is bad outside Fred really needs persuading to go out for a wee, and if he's caught short in the night, and I didn't follow him downstairs he'd happily leave a puddle in the kitchen, rather than go out into the cold. I caught him midstream against the cooker the other night (w00t)

Some learn faster than others (can't comment on bitches v.dogs), but they can be a bit lazy if the weather is bad.

Crate training may overcome a lot of these problems.

I wouldn't say it was down to what sex they are but down to the different dog.

Sidney can go for ages and has been so good at toilet training from day 1.

Ben on the other hand, when he tells you he needs to go, you got to let him out that minute as he gets in a terrible panic other wise as he has trouble holding it.

If it is a dry day we leave the back door open for them to come and go as they please...

Toilet training wise, put them out every 20 mins half and hour, after eating, after sleeping, after playing... never tell them off if they do have an accident and never let them see you cleaning it up.

Stand outside with them while they go (our go to the toilet phrase is 'Go do it') and even give them a tit bit after they have.... my two went mad over doggy choc bits :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had Penny from 8 week and she only ever did a pee inside once when we never noticed her standing at the back door. The first night we had her when we noticed her looking a little restless we put her outside and she did a pee and got lots of praise from us and with her it was as easy as that whenever she wanted out from them on she sat at the back door.

Sarah86 said:
We have had Penny from 8 week and she only ever did a pee inside once when we never noticed her standing at the back door.  The first night we had her when we noticed her looking a little restless we put her outside and she did a pee and got lots of praise from us and with her it was as easy as that whenever she wanted out from them on she sat at the back door.
We were also lucky with Blue ... he was very easy to house train. :D

He's a year and a half old now and still doesn't cock his leg and doesn't scent mark at all either :blink:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back