The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training help!!!

ash160808

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So this is the first pup I have had issues with toilet training. She's nearly 7 months and she was doing well she was going outside and would have the odd accident. But now she won't in the garden hardly at all. And she has never done a toilet on the lead on a walk. I have praised her every time she has been in the garden and made a huge fuss etc but she's gone backwards with it. I'm not sure what to try next as my other dogs were fine with toilet training.

Any help will be amazing

Some dogs are just a bit slower. Do you have a special reward that's only given for outdoor toilets?

It might. Toilet training 'clicks' when the ability to hold her toilet comes together with the desire to hold it; in order to get the fabulous reward she earns for doing it outside.

A couple of important points - it has to be immediate on toileting to be clear it's for that, and not for anything else. And, several tiny pieces of a food reward holds more value to a dog than one piece of equivalent size. This isn't a time to skimp though, be generous so it becomes really beneficial for her to hold her toilet.

When my whippet was a puppy, every time he did a pee, I would call to him "Wee-wee time, Wee-wee time" and he associated what I was saying with what he was doing. Ever since (he's 6 years old now), when I take him out before bed time (or at any time), if I tell him "Wee-wee time", he immediately goes and empties his bladder. There was never any tidbit involved, though I used to praise him for it.

We have used the same idea that Salcot mentions for a long time but we have always used 'last Time', (my wife's suggestion in case she wanted to call out with people around). And every dog we have used it on have responded eventually and empties themselves on command. Obviously plenty of praise involved.

It's great that praise works for your dogs, some however (ahem - Timber ...) just need a little more incentive!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back