The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training

Pam99

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So Ruby was doing absolutely brilliant going outside to the loo but today has been dreadful shes pooed by the doormat and had aboit 4 indoor wees. The last one 5 mins after we had taken her outside. Please tell me it will get better she didn't even wee inside this much on day 1. I feel like the more comfortable she is in our house the more she thinks its ok to pee inside. Any advice??

Two pieces of advice - one, beware the double wee (where they do one outside then come in and proudly do a second) and two, get wine or chocolate - or both.

It gets better, I promise. Have you seen our toilet training page?

House training

Two pieces of advice - one, beware the double wee (where they do one outside then come in and proudly do a second) and two, get wine or chocolate - or both.

It gets better, I promise. Have you seen our toilet training page?

House training
I think last nights cava haa made it even more difficult to deal with today . Its not as though theres any warning when she wees either she can just freeze, squat and wee in a nano second

I think last nights cava haa made it even more difficult to deal with today . Its not as though theres any warning when she wees either she can just freeze, squat and wee in a nano second
She has literally no control over the muscles that keep the bladder closed - like a baby or a menopausal lady who sneezes! The trick is to keep her empty as much as possible.

She has literally no control over the muscles that keep the bladder closed - like a baby or a menopausal lady who sneezes! The trick is to keep her empty as much as possible.
Yes i guess i just need to be patient its just annoying when shes gone 24 hours without an accident then boom 4 in 1 day!! I read your post on the house traning. I think 8 need to up the praise when outside i think we've maybe slacked off on that. Can you recommend a good enzyme cleaner please?

its just annoying when shes gone 24 hours without an accident then boom 4 in 1 day!!

Whenever you think the last accident has happened, there's always another one waiting!
Can you recommend a good enzyme cleaner please?
Sorry, no. I'd love to be able to say it's because my lad house trained perfectly (he didn't of course) but really, it's because he is 10 now and a long time since we had accidents so I've totally forgotten what we used. I'm sure someone else will have suggestions though.

Just a thought - could she be slightly unsettled from New Year fireworks? Even if you can't hear any where you are, she will be able to hear ones some distance off.

Just a thought - could she be slightly unsettled from New Year fireworks? Even if you can't hear any where you are, she will be able to hear ones some distance off.
I
I don't think so? She was absolutely terrified when the gritter went past earlier though!! Hey ho tomorrow is another day only 10 more days and we can go walkies

Yes i guess i just need to be patient its just annoying when shes gone 24 hours without an accident then boom 4 in 1 day!! I read your post on the house traning. I think 8 need to up the praise when outside i think we've maybe slacked off on that. Can you recommend a good enzyme cleaner please?

Cromessol is really good for getting rid of smells. Not cheap but it works.

I

I don't think so? She was absolutely terrified when the gritter went past earlier though!! Hey ho tomorrow is another day only 10 more days and we can go walkies

We are getting our Westie puppy at the end of Jan hopefully - we have all this to look forward to :)

We are planning to use crating as the key to housetraining. We plan to either be interacting with (and thus supervising all times) or he will be in the crate (for max 45 min at a time). I know some people are not keen on crates, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that dogs are fine with them and it is just people who don't like the idea :) You may well have read all this but our favourite books are by Mattinson, Pryor, Dunbar and Donaldson and they all recommend crating as the key to housetraining. Much less stress for you as well :) Good luck.

I'm offering advice now (before we get our puppy) but I will probably be weeping into a bucket of cava in 6 weeks time! :)))

We are planning to use crating as the key to housetraining.

Crates can certainly help with house training, in as much as the dog will prefer not to toilet in his sleeping area.

But do remember they are not a solution - if the puppy needs to toilet, he will have no alternative but to do so; regardless of where he is. Young puppies have no control over their bowel and bladder.

Well we had 1 awful day on January 1st, 1 poo and 5 wees inside when i had the hangover from hell but....touch wood since then shes not done a single thing inside. I dont know what changed...possibly getting crispy bits of salmon skin as a treat for going outside!! Touch wood this continues!! Shes still absolutely insane at times, like doing circles of the front room at break neck speed at 9pm at night but im so glad shes nailing the toileting. her crate will remain for times of emergency and now im back working from home im sure ill need to start putting her in there at times but for now we're just about coping!!

Hi my whippet puppy Rosie is just doing the same thing racing from the dining to the living room and back at break neck speed plus we have also now got a little yap when she has finished doing it. If I have to tell her no for something or I am busy doing something she will do the little yap which scares me to death I think she has hurt herself and rush to see what is wrong and she only wants my attention.

Hi my whippet puppy Rosie is just doing the same thing racing from the dining to the living room and back at break neck speed plus we have also now got a little yap when she has finished doing it. If I have to tell her no for something or I am busy doing something she will do the little yap which scares me to death I think she has hurt herself and rush to see what is wrong and she only wants my attention.
Aww rosie is such a cutie, i love whipets ♥️ ive bought ruby a flirt pole which arrived today. Brilliant invention i now dont have to spend my life kneeling on the floor to play with her plus she seems worn out just from me holding it without much movement. No naughty incidents tonight

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back