The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toileting a rescue puppy

KittyRed

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I’d welcome some advice about toileting my new rescue puppy. She’s 20 weeks old and I’ve had her a week. I think I’ve started all wrong and now I’ve confused her.

She currently goes on puppy pads in the living room but I can’t get her to go outside. She was very scared/terrified when she arrived so that’s why I used the pads. If I let her in the garden she would hide and shake all over. Now she’s fine, no longer scared and doing really well apart from toileting. She can last for ages so only wees four times a day. When I take her out she just runs around and doesn’t understand what I’m wanting her to do. She is scared of the lead so I can’t put her on a lead at the moment.

She’s also quite big! Today I tried carrying her out when she went to wee but I struggled to lift her!

Any ideas welcome.

I would probably try to just spend more time in the garden then... Play, or just hang out doing nothing. Hopefully weather there is still good. Eventually she will pee, and when she does - big celebration, treats, Good Girl! and everything else.

Have a look at our guide to toilet training - see if it helps but please come back with any questions you have.

House training

And put a pad in the garden right by the door you take her in and out from. Gradually move it further out into the garden.

You could try replacing the puppy pads with a turf tray (if that's the correct term) - maybe start by putting the pad in the tray, then add bits of turf from your garden and cut down the size of the pad till it's all turf.

Move the puppy pads slowly closer and closer to the door, then put them just outside the door etc!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back