The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Totally Unsuitable Dog Choice

Cool Running

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Am I being unreasonable?

One of my work colleagues is 65+ his wife is blind and almost housebound, they only have a small concrete yard approx 3 metres square and they are thinking of having a Great Dane puppy.

He knows someone with a Dane and would like a puppy. I told him he would have to walk every day, his answer was that his friends dog never goes out and it looks fine.

I just know how this will end if he goes ahead with his choice. To be honest I don't think any dog is suitable as for some reason he doesn't think that dogs need to go for walks everyday, I know he is the type to feed totally unsuitable foods, he has a cockatoo and he feeds chocolate and chips, no matter how often I tell him that it is bad, his attitude is ' he is still alive isn't he'. I have tried to be as helpful as I can without actually saying what I honestly think. I am afraid if I say anymore he will go ahead just to be stubborn.

We do have a mutual working associate who has a Dane so I have asked them both to have a word with each other.

I do tend to wind myself up when I see these things happening. Usually it is other kind hearted people who have to pick up the pieces when the dogs are dumped with the various charities.

I just hope he does not go through with this.

What more can I do?

Maybe when he finds out the costs involved he will decide against it . Hopefully anyway ;)

:( oh dear god, that is awful! so many reasons to not get that puppy, its unreal! is there any way you can point them to a rescue centre to rehome a smaller, older, calmer dog who wouldnt be such a strain on them?

danes arent small, so they would have a giant baby running riot, who will cause a great deal of trouble and mess. but however, you know what will be the upshot :( are you able to get in touch with any kids they might have, to voice your concerns to? another way is to make him go to the local vet to ask for advice 'in general'. any decent vet will see the problems here, and the man might be more inclined to listen to an unbiased professional.

Oh Gawd, an absolute disaster in the making by the sound of it, with the dog being the one to suffer as usual :rant:

It doesn't sound as though they have the sense to have a stuffed dog. Surely no breeder in their right minds would let them have a Dane puppy?

Unfortunately other than polite persuasion and pointing out all the negatives (which you've obviously tried but he doesn't sound like the listening type) there's not a lot you can do except be around to help pick up the pieces when it all goes horribly wrong. I hope for the dog's sake they realise it's a big mistake sooner rather than later before the poor animal is too damaged :(

People like this really really annoy me! If it was me id say what i thought and out loud too. People like that shouldn't be aloud pet's as they can't look after them properly and the animal has to suffer for it! Show him all the comments from this forum that might change his mind stupid man haha :angry:

omg how stupid, tell him to go to rehoming centre if he wants one that bad cos then they will do home check etc and he wont be allowed one ha!

omg how stupid, tell him to go to rehoming centre if he wants one that bad cos then they will do home check etc and he wont be allowed one ha!
He is still on about getting a Dane, so I have taken your advice and said that not all dogs need rehoming because they are unwanted sometimes the owner has possibly passed away. So why not go to the Great Dane Rescue. Like you said they will do a home check and be able to tell him why his situation is unsuitable for having a Dane.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back