The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tracy's Ollie

Jasbri

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Tracy is (amongst everything else (w00t) ) having computer problems, so has asked me to post this.

Following catching his paw lure coursing yesterday -

Ollie went to the emergency vet last night who strapped his swollen paw to protect it overnight. The pain meds helped him have a reasonable night.

This morning Tracy had Ollie to her own vet as they opened the door...

He has been kept in for X-ray to ensure his toe is not fractured but they say the probable diagnosis is dislocation. :wacko:

Tracy is expecting to hear an update by midday.

I will update here, when I have news.

Bridget

Poor Ollie. :huggles:

Here a pick of Freeways leg this morning, very swollen but he's being very brave about it. Bless him ! :wub:

Thanks Bridget - Poor Tracy and Ollie :(

Lots of :luck: :huggles: :luck: to the lovely Ollie, hope it is sorted out easily and heals quickly. Stan sends special :huggles: :huggles: to his racing partner :thumbsup:

OMG poor Freeway :( :( Hope this mends quickly too :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Ollie and Freeway. Hope you are both feeling much better soon.

Jasbri said:
This morning Tracy had Ollie to her own vet as they opened the door...He has been kept in for X-ray to ensure his toe is not fractured but they say the  probable diagnosis is dislocation.  :wacko:

That's a real shame, he did so well too. Hope it's not too serious and he's back in action soon. :luck: :huggles:

Poor Freeway too, that does look swolen :eek: :huggles: I think ours got off quite lightly in comparison, his toe is swolen but he's putting weight on it today. That Arnica cooling gel is good stuff :thumbsup:

toe.jpg

Oh dear, lots of :huggles: to all those who got hurt yesterday!

Ironically, we decided not to go due to the risk of injury with so many shows coming up, and went for a lovely walk this morning which ended in a deep cut on the top of Zephyr's paw, blood everywhere, and it is being stitched as we speak! :(

You never know what's going to happen next do you?

Very best wishes to poor Ollie, Gelert and Freeway. :huggles: :thumbsup:

Zephyr said:
Ironically, we decided not to go due to the risk of injury with so many shows coming up, and went for a lovely walk this morning which ended in a deep cut on the top of Zephyr's paw, blood everywhere, and it is being stitched as we speak! :(
Oh no! I think whippety stars are misaligned at the moment. :luck: and :huggles: to Zephyr too.

More seriously, does anyone have an opinion on the state of the ground at the moment, my worry was that it was a bit hard, I think others thought so too (although one of the organisers thought it was 'quite soft'). If this extremely dry weather carries on it might continue to be an issue all year :unsure:

Yes I think it was quite hard yesterday. Freeway is usually showing off to the crowds with his triple sumersaults and mud rolling, but he didn't even fall yesterday, just pulled up :(

I thought it was quite spongy on top - I think the recent rain has helped soften it all down a bit. I don't think it was too hard.

I think Ollies injury was hitting the pulley at the finish rather than on the ground - what a shame, he ran terrifically and him and Stanley had a great couple of courses. Ollie was top whippet at lunch and Stan was winning Class 2.... all changed after lunch though!

Poor Zephyr - hope he mends quickly too :thumbsup: Just shows this sort of thing can happen anywhere - what bad luck all round, hopefully that is it all over and done with and the rest of the year will be injury free :luck:

Ollie does not have a dislocation, he has a fractured toe which will be pinned tomorrow :(

Tracy is most appreciative of your comments, & sends :huggles: to Freeway, Gelert & Zephyr.

I will update tomorrow evening after Ollie's surgery.

Bridget

Well, I have said this before, you cannot blame the state of the ground. Owners have the chance to walk the course beforehand and it is the same for all dogs. You surely exercise your dogs properly before even comptemplating running them competitively so that they at least start fit. They can injury themselves any time, anywhere, if it is at lure coursing so be it. If you don't want to take that chance and not allow your hounds to enjoy themselves .............. don't go in the first place.

I am sorry that some hounds have injured themselves, but it is not the end of the world, and they did it doing what they like best (well, second best to live game!!).

Just my opinion but perhaps I am a lot more pragmatic than some owners.

I know personally I let my dogs run around like lunatics on lots of fields round here which are really quite rough - I don't check them first and touch wood haven't had any injuries from the ground. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe stupid - or maybe they have very good feet!!

Oh no poor Ollie and Freeway :( :huggles: I know how much Tracy had been looking forward to this weekend too, hope they both heal really quickly :luck: :luck:

Oh poor Ollie :(

What a shame- it always seems to be the best lure coursers who get injured- perhaps because they are fearless and put their all into it :(

He was being so brave yesterday- not even a whimper o:)

I hope he is soon on the mend- and Gelert, Freeway and the accident prone Zephyr :- "

I thought the ground felt quite spongy yesterday, certainly not too hard to run on, and the field seemed to be in good condition too. My dogs have certainly run on worse ground than that! :blink:

Mabel always seems able to pick up a minor bruise or cut or graze every time she goes out- this time she somehow got burns from the line (I assume) on the back of her thigh and right between her legs either side of her 'bits'! :oops:

Hope for some good news on the war wounded tomorrow :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

I hope Ollie is on the mend....hugs from me & Jordan !!

:huggles: :huggles: :huggles: and :luck: :luck: to Freeway, Ollie and Gelert.

Hope you all have speedy, and spoilt ;) , recoveries :thumbsup:

alfie said:
Mabel always seems able to pick up a minor bruise or cut or graze every time she goes out- this time she somehow got burns from the line (I assume) on the back of her thigh and right between her legs either side of her 'bits'! :oops: Hope for some good news on the war wounded tomorrow :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

Poor old Mabelline - hope she feels less sore today - sounds painful! Aloe vera would be good for that!

:huggles: :huggles: from Beth and Zeph :huggles: :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back