The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Transport needed

Karen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Yes its that time that all dog showing people dread, we have to change the car now and although we have never bothered much about what we have had in the past we are now looking for the ideal dog show car.

We are finding it harder to get dog sitters as ours are all getting on a bit so we thought whenever pos we will take some of the dogs with us.  we have eight and we could probably leave four at home. The question for you all is what should we get?  An MPV I think but there are so many we are totally confused!!  Or an Estate, cant afford a Volvo,  any ideas???

Why not get a van? Lots of racing people have to transport 8 or even more dogs as they don't want to leave their oldies at home.

Many of us have vans as you can fit a lot more cages in a van than a car.  A short wheel base is no more difficult to park than a car if it is your only vehicle. They also have the advantage of being a lot cooler in summer. We have a big turbo fan in the roof of ours.

You could get a high top so that you can walk around inside. Very useful. It's safer as you can get your dog out of it's crate whilst still inside the van so it's less likely to escape before you can get a lead on it. Also your dogs can't be seen by dog thieves.

No good for impressing the neighbours with but very, very practical.

Yes, I agree with Judy.  We have a Mitsubishi L300, which is classed as a small van, and it is really quite economical. It does around 40 mpg on a run, but usually less with us as we tow a caravan.  You can get everything in, and unlike the car you don't have to plan what will fit, and how many chairs to leave behind!  We once went racing in my little RAV 4, what a nightmare!  Lovely to park in town, but useless with whippets - I do love it, but it's on the verge of being sold, as it's only good for going to work or shopping.  Like everything else in our house, it has to fit in with the whippets, so looks like it's on borrowed time :sad:

Thanks for that both of you, we had looked at a Rav4, we also thought about a van but if we want to take anyone to the shows with us how much human seating have they got?.  I didnt fancy sticking my 74 year old mum on a mattress in the back!!

I was quite tempted with renault kangoo's/citroen berlingo's but apparentley the ride is'nt that good esp long distances also the are'nt very safe going around corners(so i've been told), I also am after a new car(hint hint tony), but I have the extra convienience(or inconvienience) of taking a two year old racing as well, it's not just the child its all the crap they need(take note vicky!!!), I currently have a primera est which has split rear seats so sam has the single seat for his car seat and the double seat is folded down with the dog cage put there and the racing things eg. ramps, pushchairs, picinic are put in any available space!!!. I suppose I could do with a van but we use my car for work as tony has a useless sports car which is uneconomical, does'nt like getting dirty and can't really fit much in(weekend fun car), so I don't think I would like to travel 48miles per day to/from work in standing traffic in a trannie, I fancy a suburu legacy but it's not that economical and really high insurence.

Next time it will probably be either another primera est, mondeo est or a zafira(mpv) apparently the seats fold down flat therefore cages going in easily

Looks like you have been down the road im on Michelle, looked at Kangoo and a friend said the same as you about the ride, we do lots of miles Showing so comfort is also important.  The zafira is coming out tops at the moment as its not too big and we have the option of seats in or out.  Anyone got one?   I used to have a Subaru fantastic, but so heavy on fuel, it was just as they opened the M40 with no fuel stops and I didnt have enough to go that way up to Birmingham from the M25!!

We put proper car seats in our van and have fitted an extra one in the back. We got ours through an advert in one of the motorcaravan magazines. Actually we converted the van into a sort of motorhome/dog carrier. No loo and no wardrobe but some dog cages instead. The seats are reallly comfortable and on swivel bases. It also means we can walk through between the seats from the cab into the back of the van. Ideal.

HI Karen

Mum has bought a Vauxhall Agila, it is only a 1.2 very light on fuel and it decently comfortable, we have travelled with six whippets and a Jack Russell in the back loose from Northampton to Darlington. At between £6-7,000, it is, in our opinion, a great buy.

We only travel with the two of us!!!

Emma

Thanks Van people, we did think about a van a few years ago but I think its just we cant see us in a van, I guess that sounds snobby but its not really that, I do love loads of light and cant bear CARS with small windows,  I think David is going for the Vauxhall Zafira, we drove it yesterday and its just like the Astra estate so nice and comfy.  But Im not holding my breath you know what (SOME) men are like, so far we have done an in depth study on vans, 4x4s, MPVs and estates.  If we sold all the dogs and all their stuff and stopped showing I could buy myself a Masda MX5!!!  And Emma I got my Shaun puppy at last, she is really, well, Shauny!!

Hi Karen,

I changed last year from a Ford Mondeo hatchback (room in the boot for a body or two - of the human kind, not canine) and seated 5 adults comfortably, to a Toyota Rav 4.   This has 4x4 capacity - I was fed up with praying I would not get flooded and the engine die on me last year on our lovely Island roads - 5 doors, takes 2-3 whippets easily behind the back seat (Corrie's compartment with his duvet to swan around on!) and you can flatten or take the back seat(s) right out if you want to and probably get even more in.   It also is quite nippy with a 2 litre engine - can't stand a sluggish car.

I must admit, I don't like overcrowding as far as the dogs are concerned and they don't usually travel in cages - I use travel harnesses instead with Laura usually having prime position on the front passenger seat.

You can always have a look at the NWA and see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Michelle, what you mean i can't put the baby in the cage with Ella???

The baby may disturb ella, you don't want her upset before a big race!!!(ella, not the baby):shocked:

The other advantage to a Rav is if you have to ferry around elderly relatives - they don't brain themselves or hit you with their walking sticks getting in and can just slide their bottoms off the seat and their feet should touch earth!

Something to be considered in my position!!!

We have a minibus with the 2 back rows taken out  giving us 6 seats & lots of space for cages etc. Solves the light problem but try finding an insurer!! I like vans good driving position & ideal in traffic not many have the nerve to cut you up.

I take it your Mum does'nt look at this Nicki!!!  We nearly got a Rav 4 so I would like a look, see you there.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back