The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Travel Sickness

suvi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is it OK to give whippets human travel sickness pills i.e. Sealegs. I have been told that it is OK but what with whippets being such delicate little things I would like to check first!

What sort of dose would I give. It has got to the stage where my new little girl does not even want to go anywhere near the car now!

suvi said:
Is it OK to give whippets human travel sickness pills i.e. Sealegs.  I have been told that it is OK but what with whippets being such delicate little things I would like to check first!
What sort of dose would I give.  It has got to the stage where my new little girl does not even want to go anywhere near the car now!

There is a really useful thread in the FAQ section :) http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=12130

Hope you have some success :luck: - Lots of whippets seem to suffer with this but many people have sorted them out one way or another in the end! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We had the same problem with Marble. Doctor Wendy :D said that it was fine to put him on Sealegs so we did. One tablet is enough for a full day out and we give it to him either the night before or first thing in the morning and it has worked. He now enjoys his car trips!

I was told to keep him on these until he was a year old, but after 4-5 months we are going to use up the few pills that we have left and see how he goes.

Good luck :luck:

Michelle

Hi i recently asked similar advice re travle sickness, with really helpful links in the FAQ, but one thread i was reading suggested DAB spray, (available on line from VET UK), it was actually suggested in relation to another topic re thunder storms.

DAB can be sprayed into a travel cage, kennel or bedding, if the dog is nevous or stressed, this should be done 15 mins prior to putting you dog in that enviroment.

Our Eck is a very bad traveller, i had tried lots of different things, but nothing worked, i was going to try sealegs but have not got round to that yet, but did get DAB spray. I used as directed and 'bingo' it was the first calm journey he's experienced, no drolling, or nervous pacing, no sickness and he lay comfortably and calm, pretty much all of the journey, it was great, such a releif not seeing him stressed out and being able to come with us. :D

prior to this I couldn't take him on a 5 min run without him being sick and getting upset.

ecknnelly said:
Hi i recently asked similar advice re travle sickness, with really helpful links in the FAQ, but one thread i was reading suggested DAB spray, (available on line from VET UK), it was actually suggested in relation to another topic re thunder storms.
DAB can be sprayed into a travel cage, kennel or bedding, if the dog is nevous or stressed, this should be done 15 mins prior to putting you dog in that enviroment.

Our Eck is a very bad traveller, i had tried lots of different things, but nothing worked, i was going to try sealegs but have not got round to that yet, but did get DAB spray.  I used as directed and 'bingo' it was the first calm journey he's experienced, no drolling, or nervous pacing, no sickness and he lay comfortably and calm, pretty much all of the journey, it was great, such a releif not seeing him stressed out and being able to come with us. :D  

prior to this I couldn't take him on a 5 min run without him being sick and getting upset.

That's great advice and really worth knowing that it worked for you. Would you mind posting this in the FAQ travel sickness thread, as it could really help others - me included! I've got a really drooly traveller who nothing has helped up to now, so I'm going to look into DAP. Thanks, ecknelly :thumbsup:

edited to add, I did a quick google and that Vet UK site is one of the cheapest and has free P&P - but isn't there a huge variation in price elsewhere??? I saw the same product for £22.99 on antoher site!!!! (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't get Suvi until she was 10 months old and I think she had only travelled by car a very few times until she came to England. All my whippets have started off by being very sick, even a trip to the village three minutes away! Because they were younger they got used to the car quicker I think.

I used DAP spray for her plane journey, and she wasn't sick then, I will certainly try that first.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back