The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Trimming Hair Around the Eyes

arealhuman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed Rusty's facial hair has grown a bit over recent weeks (I work away in the week, perhaps it's more noticeable to me when I'm home for the weekends), and he has a lot of hair in front of, and above, his eyes. He also has a beard, too, which I like the look of, but it can get a bit manky when it's been put in his raw dog food! Anyway, I'd like to trim his hair around his eyes so he can see more clearly, but am really nervous about doing this for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this please? Should I use safety scissors, or a trimmer? I know when I attempt it he's likely to wriggle so a cautious approach is needed.

Side issue - he's picked up diarrhoea again, which has improved a bit, but still has sloppy poos. Vet has prescribed a probiotic.

All suggestions about the trimming welcomed :)

It sounds counterintuitive but I like longer scissors for around the eyes where possible because the pointy bits are actually further away from the eyes.

I also hold the hair between my index finger and middle finger (like a hairdresser) and keep my fingers between the scissors and the eye.

Thanks @JoanneF, that actually makes perfect sense and something I wouldn't have thought of! I don't think I have any longer scissors (other than for stationery) so might have to invest in something.

I trim my mums dogs hair around his eyes and do exactly as JoanneF does, it works really well though he is a rather patient dog!

Thanks. I had a try last night, didn't get very far with it, a combination of my nerves and him thinking it was a game and not keeping still!

You could keep trying, but tbh, even though I trained as a vet nurse and as a dog groomer, I still take my dogs to a local dog groomer for those sort of jobs. It's just quicker and less stressful for everyone if someone who spends all day doing that sort of thing gets the job done professionally and promptly.

It literally takes my groomer under 2 minutes to trim and dremel my little collie's claws, and she is a ball of wriggling muscle if she doesn't like what you're doing! So I would say ask around for recommendations of a good salon and visit without your dog first. Don't go anywhere that the dog.is taken away out of sight - the best groomers are happy to let owners be present.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back