The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tripe

jezza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I've decided that I would like to start feeding Molly something a bit healthier for her. I think that she is becoming too thin and her coat looks a bit scruffy. She weighs about 18pounds and has various bones sticking out :( She's a very fussy eater, although I probably haven't helped by changing my mind what to feed her :b

So anyway, after some research (looking at some old posts!!) I've decided to start with some tripe. I've got some defrosting in the kitchen as we speak :) but I don't know how much to give. Should I introduce it gradually with her old food, then phase the old food out. Can I mix it with biscuits (at the moment she is eating Bakers complete which really doesn't seem to be doing her any good and James wellbeloved which she likes)?

Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated. Also would I be able to give my other dog Lenny some aswell, he is only 5 months old?

Hi:

You want to be feeding "green" tripe to your dogs. Not the bleached white tripe that you buy at the grocers. If you ARE defrosting green tripe in your kitchen, you are braver than most!!! :- )

We feed the green tripe as a meal. Our dogs LOVE it!!!! Just as a tip.... watch out for after dinner burps....the smell will curl your toes :- )

We feed about 2% of the dogs body weight in tripe.

They can eat it on a regular basis.

You will soon know if 2% is too much/too little by weight gain/loss. Just adjust accordingly.

We try not to mix "raw feeding" with kibble feeding. It takes the average dog about 16 hours to digest kibble.... much less time is needed to digest the tripe.

Both Molly & Lenny will be thrilled to bits over the green tripe.

S.

Hmmm, well I don't know if its green or white, it came from the freezers at 'Pets at home'. Is that any good? It just says tripe. Sorry for being so ignorant but I'm veggie myself and I don't actually know what tripe is and I don't want to!!, Perhaps I am brave because it smells like s***!!!

So is that the right stuff? No worries if it isn't, because it didn't defrost in time for tea :blink:

By the way, I'm defrosting it in a tupperware box so it doesn't stink the house out (w00t)

Hi,

I feed green tripe to all my dogs - even as puppies they think it's the best and I agree with the previous advice.

Sky, my youngest whippet was a shocking eater and a bag of bones, I found that she loves pasta and mince (I use the frozen pet mince from prize choice,) about 1/4 kilo pasta, 1/2 block mince with a little grated cheese added (per dog) Sky has put weight on a looks really well - might be worth a try.

Good luck, whippets are skinny enough to start with!!!

Thanks to both the replies. The tripe I got is the Prize Choice frozen one so I hope it is ok. Once I've got them on the tripe I'll try and add some pasta too, is that good to fatten them up?

Do I also need to be feeding some veg?

I'm going to post a recipe for "Satin Balls"...... a popular recipe for putting weight on a dog .... and for improving the skin & coat.....

~~~~~~~

The following recipe was sent to Wellpet by Diana Carreon, R.N.,C.

It quickly became one of the most requested posts on Wellpet.

Ingredients

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]

1 lg. box of Total cereal [or comparable natural brand]

1 lg. box oatmeal

1 jar of wheat germ

1 1/4 cup veg oil

1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses

10 raw eggs

10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin

pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed.

Uses

I take a frozen pack to dogs shows with me, kept on ice, and never have had any trouble with it spoiling, even in the heat of the summer...

All my dogs go crazy over this stuff...but you have to be careful, it will put weight on pretty fast if you feed enough....I feed a pack a day...half in am , half in pm.

When I want to increase the weight on a dog, I feed more; so far I haven't got to the point where they won't eat anymore, and believe me, Satin has eaten a lot at one setting. It will put on the weight, make the coats soft and blue black (on black dogs at least, that's all I have).

The dogs stop all the itching and chewing at their coats/skin, their eyes get this bright look and the energy level goes out the roof.

The bitch that I got this recipe for is a picky eater, but when this in on the food (I long ago stopped trying to "bury" it the other food; they just hunt it down to eat first, and making a mess trying) she eats much better. It seems to whet her appetite.

Comments

Per the information received after having the Satin Balls recipe checked by several vets/labs:

The only problem with feeding it by itself is figuring out the amount. It will put weight on a dog in a few days...that's why it is so great to feed just before a show. If you have a dog that is in good weight, but you just want to build coat/endurance, you would have to figure out how much to feed (cal per kg), or you would end up with a fat dog in a very short time. At one point, I let Satin eat as much as she wanted, just to see how much she would consume. I never got to that point! After a pound pack, she was still looking for more, so I stopped. I have been told a dog will stop eating when full on it, and that you can then gauge the amount needed to maintain weight!

I just find that per the pocketbook and ease, my dogs do very well on it as a supplement. I give about a 1/4 pound each night to maintain beautiful coats, energy level, and a full appetite...no picky eaters here.

Just don't try to hide it in the kibble...they will make a mess throwing out the kibble, digging for the Satin Balls! My dogs have never gotten sick on Satin balls...not even when I am at a show and feed only that. I feed less kibble, so I saves money there. There is also less stool to pick up as the dogs are able to digest all of the Satin Balls.

I have been playing with the recipe. I now use the Knox Joint Gelatin instead of the plain Knox unflavored gelatin. Since this is high in vit C and protein, and is good for the joints, it would be good for the dogs. They don't seem to mind the added flavor.

I am also adding Flaxseed oil. They probably don't need the added oil, but so far I have not seen it hurt anything.

Fix some up and let your dogs enjoy. They will love you forever and forever.

~~~~~~~~~~

These Satin Balls sound really good, but how much is in one large box of cereal ? Also what is Total cereal? I did not know gelatine has vitaminC, I thought it was made out of bones. :unsure:

If dog has a dry coat, the first thing i would do is to make sure it is wormed properly (use only wormer from a vet). Wheat germ and flaxseed oil added to her normal food will also help.

Some people say eggs are not good for dogs, but in the past when i had chooks and ducks and more eggs then i could use, my dogs got an egg almost every day. Often they just helped themself straight from the nest. They had beautiful coats.

Lida

Hi does anyone know if you can get green tripe in Oz?

The satin balls recipe sounds delicious ( from a whippy point of view), it is sometimes difficult to fatten up a fussy eater.

I think the theory about not feeding raw eggs is because egg whites contain a protein ( avidin) which interferes with the dog being able to access a B vitamin in the eggs. According to a few sites ( including http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm )

if the whole egg is fed then there is enough biotin available even if some of it is bound by the avidin in the white.

I guess it comes back to feeding a balanced diet with all things in moderation.

Elizabeth

Seraphina said:
These Satin Balls sound really good, but how much is in one large box of cereal ? Also what is Total cereal? I did not know gelatine has vitaminC, I thought it was made out of bones. :unsure:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lida:

Total cereal, made by General Mills (in case you have it over there just with a different name)

large box is 1 pound 2 ounces (510g)

Ingredients: whole grain wheat, sugar, calcium carbonate, whole grain brown rice, corn syrup, salt, lactose, and a bunch of vitamins (100% daily requirements of Vit C, Calcium, Iron, vit E, Thimin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, Folic acid, B12, Pantothenic acid and Zinc. Vit A 10%, Vit D 10%, Phosphorus 8%, Magnesium 6%, and copper 4%. Per 30g, there is 1g fat, 23g carbohydrate, 3ggiber and 2g protein.

A large box of oatmeal is 2 pounds 10 ounces (1.19 kg)

I THINK horse molasses is unsulphured because I don't think horses would eat it if it weren't!!! The first time I made them I just substituted dark brown sugar for the molasses anyway!

Gelatin is obtained by boiling the skin, tendons, and ligaments of animals. As a result, it contains protein, collagen (a primary component of joints, cartilage, and nails), and various amino acids. It has long been a key ingredient for providing support for "jelled" desserts, salads, frozen drinks, and soft candies such as Gummi Bears. (In fact, the word gelatin is derived from the Latin "gelatus," meaning stiff or frozen.) Vitamin C is added.

We use salmon oil capsules instead of flax.

The dogs love it....all we have to do is rattle the bottle & voila!!! 5 dogs dancing at your knees. They eat the capsules like a treat.

It helps with the skin, coat, eyes & brain.

S.

:- )

jezza said:
Hi all,
I've decided that I would like to start feeding Molly something a bit healthier for her. I think that she is becoming too thin and her coat looks a bit scruffy. She weighs about 18pounds and has various bones sticking out :( She's a very fussy eater, although I probably haven't helped by changing my mind what to feed her  :b

So anyway, after some research (looking at some old posts!!) I've decided to start with some tripe. I've got some defrosting in the kitchen as we speak :) but I don't know how much to give. Should I introduce it gradually with her old food, then phase the old food out. Can I mix it with biscuits (at the moment she is eating Bakers complete which really doesn't seem to be doing her any good and James wellbeloved which she likes)?

Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated. Also would I be able to give my other dog Lenny some aswell, he is only 5 months old?

Hiya, I have been breeding whippets and lurchers for some twenty years.Have always put pups on tripe from weaning at 4 weeks.For pups of 4 months up i would give tripe twice a day half a pound at each feed with a plain mixer biscuit a small handfull of biscuit.The weight stays on and coat and eyes shine!Different diet plan for younger pups of course.Just watch the bowls get cleared!I know whippets can be picky but tripe has always worked for me.Also, the waste created is dry and very easy to clean up. Cheers Jon . W

Well thanks for all the replies and advice, certainly given me a lot to think about.

I gave them their first meal of tripe yesterday, what a performance!! I thought that they were going to eat the bowls as well (w00t) so thats a firm favourite then.

I think I may also try to make those 'Satin balls' if I can find all the ingredients.

And at last I have a use for the flaxseed oil which I bought months ago. It is recommended that vegetarians take it as a suplement, but after one spoonful it tasted so vile that it went back in the cupboard and never came out again :x :x :x

just a thought have you considered Barf feeding - sorted my lurcher out (Whigget loves it too (w00t) put weight on and no more fussy eater

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back