The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Trying to breed my bitch

Caroline Sipson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 2 year shihpoo with a stud dog we know she is on heat and bleeding but today she decided to be snappy when he tried to mount her any advice please

They know when they are ready, and it can be early as a few days in, or right at the end of the season. Have you attended a mating before? It isn't as straightforward as people imagine, and at least one of the human helpers needs to know what they are about. Has the stud been used before, and is he a compatible size?

They know when they are ready, and it can be early as a few days in, or right at the end of the season. Have you attended a mating before? It isn't as straightforward as people imagine, and at least one of the human helpers needs to know what they are about. Has the stud been used before, and is he a compatible size?
No never seen a mating before he is just a little bigger than her he's never been used before it's both of there first times he's a friends dog

It’s generally not a good idea to breed two inexperienced dogs together, or to breed a larger male to the female. It could actually be a risk to her, and if they do succeed in tying, you may need her to have a c-section.

You may find this site helpful, it lists the congenital conditions of breeds that can be passed on to pups, which you should be aware of before mating them.

Breed Health Information Index | Dog Breed Health

That's the 2 dogs

Attachments

• 20211103_100109.jpg
    20211103_100109.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 167
You need someone experienced to help. Do you understand what happens in the tie? it's very important to have someone capable to help the dog turn and hold them in the tie, otherwise a lot of serious damage can be done. Dogs have been killed in the tie.
Maybe hold off this time until you can get someone knowledgeable to explain and help. The other issue is that so much can go wrong with the birth and again there should be knowledgeable help to hand. It has to be someone who has been there and done that: a lot of vets and vet nurses have theory but no practical experience.

I do know what to do thanks it was advice on why she snaps as he tries to mount her that I wondered why when her tail is up and she let's him sniff etc

We have now separated the 2 dogs as my bitch was getting snappy with the stud but today she is crying constantly trying to hump my arm and leg is that a sign she is ready she is 2 year old in 2 weeks we thought because of yesterday snappiness she wasn't ready for breeding can anyone advise me on it please

@Caroline Sipson, note that I've deleted your duplicate post in the other thread to keep all the replies in one place :)

I've no real experience of breeding. I do know that my dog's breeder went to great lengths to choose the right stud dog for her bitch, but her bitch wouldn't cooperate so she ended up using artificial insemination. I don't know the pros and cons of this, though.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back