The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Home Needed Trying to keep our dog!

Maximus87

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dear dogforum,

I hope there's someone out there who can help us/ point us in the right direction. This year has been crazy for us. We've moved area, I've started a new job and we've had a new baby into the mix. The job offer came first out of those three, and we started plans to move to the Bristol area. We tried to buy a house, but 8 weeks in to the house-buying process, the purchase fell through. We were gutted. We tried to buy again, but this time, we were under serious time constraints as it was mid June and I started my new job in Bristol city centre in September. After several weeks of stressful and panicked house hunting, we admitted defeat and decided to rent for 6 months. In Bristol, if you have a dog, you can forget agreeing a rental contract. My mother agreed to take him on for the 6 months after seeing we were in a predicament (I must stress here that we in no way approached her, forced her or even asked her to take him, she offered her help freely and without any coercion). We took her up on the offer, relieved that our beautiful Patterdale terrier would be in safe hands. We dropped him off at hers and made the move 3 days later. Almost immediately, we started to receive texts saying she wasn't coping. She then started demanding we take him back and giving us ultimatums - i.e. "I'll put him in the dogs' home" etc. etc. We are now in the awkward position of having to find an alternative home. My question is:

Is there anyone out there who knows of any sort of temporary housing scheme for dogs whose owners are temporarily unable to have them, in our case, due to pet-free rental properties?

We're willing to consider anything - foster carers, long term boarding, even dogs homes as temporary measures as long as we can get him back! We are so upset that it has come to this, please help us somebody!

Whoa there - bit of harsh and unfair play from your Mum?!!! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) Understand it's not her overall responsibility but she's put you in a real spot. Half-wonder if your Mum will realise she a bit quick to throw the towel in and create a nightmare but you don't need that stress or constant worry again anyway so don't include her with any plans.

Get on the phone first thing and ring local animal rescue centres / shelters and explain what your predicament is. They'll probably point you in the direction of others that take temporary foster parents and know which people are friends or foe.

Do a bit of ringing, messaging and calling on favours and I bet you get something together quicker and easier than you'd think.

Friends with animal type jobs, hobbies or friends that "might have friends that know someone" and so on tend to come up trumps in this kind of thing. Have two friends that work at local rescues and both take on emergency / foster dogs in their own homes so it is do-able; don't worry :flowers:

GOOD NEWS!

Thank you for replying. Over the weekend, we received a long angry text full of venom, telling us that if we didn't pick him up before Friday he would be going in the dogs' home. As you can imagine my mother now has a very acrimonious relationship with my wife and I! However, the good news is that today we got a phone call from the agent telling us that the landlord had agreed that we can have him in the house. We had thought we would ask him as a plan A but didn't think it would work so had plans B, C, D, E, F etc. etc. waiting in the wings. So we now have our beautiful boy back with us! I think he appreciates us more, as his behaviour has been impeccable. We appreciate him more too, having nearly lost him! He seems genuinely relieved to be back with his pack, so calm and obedient. So the whole episode has been brilliant for our relationship with our dog but terrible for our relationship with my mother! Still, all swell that ends well. Thank you again so much for your concern.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back