The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Two puppies from same litter

Gem_louisy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi what do people think about getting two puppies from the same litter? We have already put a deposit down on one however circumstances now make another available and we have been asked if we would like him as I have always said I would like two dogs what do people think in this?

Hi there,

First of all (and please excuse the bluntness here) but any decent breeder will not allow you to buy 2 puppies (siblings) from the same litter.

Reason being is they are so difficult to train as they bond with each other and not you. You have to do everything with them sepearetly, this is everything from feeding them, to walking them and training classes if you so wish to get them to bond with you and not their brother or sister.

You will have a mammoth task on your hands if you have siblings, and out of the 3 friends i know who did just this after 12 months, each one of them had to give one of the pups up as they fought alot and it became unbearable for them.

Now I'm not saying this is the case with every pair of siblings people get, but unless you are willing to do twice the work and devote pretty much every waking minute you have to them (apart from going to work obviously) then you will end up with 2 unruly dogs and you will be at your wits end.

there is a post on here from another person who is currently experiencing just this and my advice to her was the same.

if you decide to do this, crate train them from day one, so you can keep them seperate when you are not around. Carnage will reign if you leave them together, this will include them fighting! you could be getting the most docile breed of pups going but this will still carry on.

If you want to get another puppy then I advise you get one from another litter from another reputable breeder. you will still have to work twice as hard but the bond will automatically be with you and not each other.

I hope I havent been too harsh, but in cases like this where I have seen what has happened I feel honesty is the best policy.

Sophie x

Thank you. I wanted honesty. We are defiantly going to crate train as already brought it all for the one we are defiantly having.

There are quite a few stories on here of people really struggling with two siblings as they don't bond with their owners, only with each other and it can lead to them fighting etc.

Personally I wouldn't get siblings just incase but there would be nothing to stop you from getting another dog once you have settled with your pup and they have grown up!?

I have read a lot about people having issues with puppies from the same litter as they don't bond with their human families - personally I wouldn't as I wouldn't want to risk it!! What did you decide to do?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back