The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Update...but whaaat? The trainer said/did this...

sparkle4ever

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I wanted to update you on something and something else but it is hard to know where to begin as all the stress of looking after Barley has taken its toll, or maybe it is just general stress and I have become run down with a chest infection. Struggling a lot.
With Barley, there has been some easier times. There has been some joy. And there has been deep feelings of despair, frustration and that feeling that you can't cope, reached your limit...yet you carry on, in the hope of better times. The dog is just attempting to rip the room apart as I type! Fun times. I am so grateful for my OH. But it is hard when I am alone with Barley. He is almost 15 weeks now.
I am exhausted and feeling pretty bad but...
Still been going to the puppy classes and the trainer knows about all these difficulties. And has emailed the odd helpful suggestion and said it can be difficult with a pup up to seven months. In email, we talked about rehoming. She said that she would put the feelers out if I needed that. I said no, we would continue. Despite how hard it is.
At the puppy class yesterday, she told me that she had spoken to a search and rescue team and they would like to take Barley! That he is super intelligent (he is the most responsive in the class, she really revels in how she can get him to do anything, and course we can't as much) but she told me that he is a working dog, that we will never be able to stimulate him enough and that he will never be our 'pet'! I was shocked. That she had done this. I didn't even know how to respond. I said, what about our bond? She said he would just forget us. I ended up feeling that we would be depriving him of a better life and that he will never be our family dog. That even when he gets to 7 months, he will still be 'too much'. Despite people all saying it gets easier, she in effect, said the opposite. I have lost all trust in her for doing this.
A friend told me that is just her opinion. But now I feel so worried, unwell and the thought of giving him up, despite how extremely difficult all this, is overwhelming.
If he did become a police dog for search and rescue, I think he would be an outside dog, I don't know. I can't find out. That wouldn't be right for him anyway in my view.
This is rambled, I am sorry.

No need to apologise.

I think she has overstepped the mark. No doubt she was trying to be helpful, but it's not her place to discuss clients' dogs with others.

Maybe Barley would excel at something like that but you can certainly provide activities for him. Once you've nailed his basic training you could look into sports like mantrailing if you are interested.

No need to apologise.

I think she has overstepped the mark. No doubt she was trying to be helpful, but it's not her place to discuss clients' dogs with others.

Maybe Barley would excel at something like that but you can certainly provide activities for him. Once you've nailed his basic training you could look into sports like mantrailing if you are interested.
Thank you.

And I think he too could do well.
But is she right? That is what worries me. Is it that he will never 'calm' down enough for it to be tolerable? That is what worries me the most.

He may need some sort of outlet to get rid of his energy, but my dog was never more tired than after a scent work session - using their brains is more tiring than physical exercise. And exercise also risks them turning into a super-fit athlete that you can never tire. So do hold that thought about activities - like mantrailing.

This could be the start of a terrific bond with you and your dog - I know someone who owns a brace of border collies, and they have a different "activity" every day of the week. As a result, there is a huge bond between dogs and owner, and the dogs come home tired and fulfilled every time. Mantrailing is a great way to harness your pup's nose and drive. There are many other fun activities too. Meanwhile make him puzzle toys, which he will love. He is indeed at a difficult age, so hold onto the fact that he will get better and you will get better at managing him.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back