The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Uti In Whippets

maja

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

I am hoping somebody who had similar experience could give me some advice...

I have noticed that our 5 year old whippet Wolfie (he is not neutered) was dripping blood from his penis...only few drips..that was 4-5 weeks ago..went to the Vet-got antibiotics as vet said it is urinary infection...after week we finished antibiotics, there were few more blood drips again...Vet prescribed another course of antibiotics...few days after we finished antibiotics there was more blood dripping...but only few drips....back to vet and another course of antibiotics...

Now we are on 3.course of antibiotics, which I am not happy about as I worry about side effects etc...

My question would be: is it possibel to have urinary infection for such long even after taking so many antibiotics?

Also his prostate is little enlarged...could it be prostate infection? or what else could it be?

Otherwise, Wolfie is behaving normally, eating well, does not seem to be in pain...

He is booked now for castration...but my another worry is whether operation will be safe if he was taking so many antibiotics...

If anyone had a similar problem, please let me know what is best to do in this situation...

many thanks in advance

M

Sorry no advice....but could you not have a chat with your vet and air your feelings to him her, they may have some good advice to give you.

Best wishes and hope he gets better soon.

Hi ya! Has your vet taken a urine sample or a swab and sent it off for culture? That would tell him exactly what bacteria you are dealing with and how to treat it. The antibiotics shouldn't affect the castration op at all and should help with future infections.

Hope that helps

Ali

There is a form of sugar called D-Mannose which is helpful against anti-biotic resistant UTI's in humans. Maybe worth researching? See http://www.dmannose.co.uk/. But I agree it would be worth getting swabs to be sure what you are dealing with. Hope he is better soon, poor little chap. :luck:

Hi, a work colleague of mine’s dog had exactly the same thing; unfortunately she is on holiday so I can’t ask her about it. I do know however that in the end the dog was castrated and is now ok, so it seems that you are certainly making the right move. The vet will tell you if there are any additional risks with the medication he has been taking but it is probably best not to delay the operation any longer than necessary if he is bleeding.

I am surprised that the vet has let it go one for so long, have they done any tests or just kept giving anti-biotic?

The best of luck to you I hope he recovers quickly.

The problem with obtaining a urine sample with a dog is that it's unlikely to be sterile, furthermore as treatment has already commenced with anti-biotics, it is not unusual for cultures not to grow any bacteria at all.

That is not to say the vet has made an error in any way, common things are common and it's probably standard treatment to issue a certain type of anti-biotic to a dog presenting with symptoms of a UTI.

Tony informs me that in situations where a dog has an enlarged prostrate and repeated UTI's there is merit for castration. The reason being is that benign tumours within the prostrate are usually mediated by testosterone.

In fairness to your vet, it seems that by prescribing courses of varied antibiotics in differing regimes they've ruled out any bacterial cause and one would hope castration would alleviate your dogs symptoms. It certainly would appear justified in my eyes.

Best of luck :luck:

many thanks all for your responses...

i will look into D-mannose option...but I am hoping after castration all will come back to normal..

The vet took urine samples of Wolfie and did the tests, therefore the result was UTI...I will ask vet to do blood tests as well to make sure is nothing else...

Wolfie seems to be normal, no more drippings...I am giving him probiotic yogurts to maintain his good bacteria in his stomach as he is taking so many antibiotics...

Hope all will be ok...

thanks again

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back