The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vegidog

BEF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am running back to dogforum with my tail between my legs as I have been well ant truly grilled on petforum for feeding Whisp a (mostly) vegan diet.
Didn't know people could get so defensive over the matter :oops:.
Very embarrassing and upsetting.

I saw your posts but kept clear. It can get a little, erm, lively over there ... I think there are a lot more members and so there is a wider range of views; so comments can get quite extreme if that makes sense. That said, even some of the more conservative members were quite opinionated. If you were to look through other threads, a very common sentiment is that the best food for your dog is the one that suits him, regardless of the label / ingredients. Hey ho, people are fickle.

I don't think there's ever any need to jump down someone's throat when they are doing what they think is right for their dog. Apart from anything else, it's never likely to make you think 'Hmmm, maybe they're right...' Doesn't matter how much your opinions diverge, they are opinions.

I have reservations about any diet for a dog that isn't predominantly meat. Doesn't mean I'm right though - I could well be wrong. Just look at all the people who used to smugly state that vegetarians can't possibly survive for long because they're not getting first-class proteins, and point to their canine teeth which 'prove' we should eat meat.

You stick around here, @BEF. We're much nicer here :)

Apparently I should have a rabbit instead of a dog :rolleyes:
Maybe I should trade Whisper in for a Holland lop :D

I've posted a lovely inflammatory thread as my last post there :oops:
Should keep them busy for a while.
Beth78PetForums Junior
1. I should have a rabbit, not a dog.
2. I'm being selfish taking my dog to a public park.
3. I rescued a nervous dog to make myself feel good.
4. I love and care for my dog no matter what.

Thank you for all your heartfelt comments

There's a man in our (very small) town who is almost as broad as he is tall. He walks a shih tzu which he told me 2 months ago weighs 12 kilos. He had been told to get her down to under 8 (still at least a kilo over by my estimation) so she had to lose at least half of her body weight. I bumped into him again yesterday and asked how her diet was going. He said she had lost 2 kilos (I didn't see any difference) but I said great, going well. He then told me it was hard because she was a really fussy eater (REALLY???) and - wait for it - doesn't like dog food so they give her gammon steak :mad:. The salt ... so, @BEF , sleep easy on the vegan dog food, there are clearly worse things. I would be surprised if this poor creature reaches 50% of her expected lifespan.

Last edited:
I have to say it was quite refreshing to discover this forum. In my experience, the downside to a lot of forums is that they tend to have a few established members who hold very entrenched views and are inclined to become quite aggressive when anyone new expresses a differing opinion. However, the comments you mention in the above post seem particularly harsh and totally irrelevant to the topic of ‘vegan dog food’.
I recommend a few deep breaths and be content in the knowledge that you own a happy and healthy dog!

I saw the thread. :( Unfortunately vegan diet is one of those contentious subjects.
To be fair , you had some nice replies and support in your other thread in General so its worth hanging around and getting to know members and who to ignore! .:)

Edited to say I'm kimthecat there :)

Last edited:
Every forum has a different ethos and IMO it's important that mods and admin ensure that the ethos is maintained. There's nothing wrong in having a 'no holds barred' ethos (excepting clear libel, incitement to violence and so on), but it's certainly not for everyone. People have objected strongly and flounced on a forum I run when they have been moderated for personal attacks because we expect respect, even when disagreeing with someone else's opinions. That's fine - we reserve the right to be not the right forum for them ;)

It's a good job I don't go on the forum you're referring to here, because I'd spend all my time trying to unofficially police threads that were actually 'normal for that forum'!

But really - if they disagree with a vegan diet, why not just state their reasons why, and provide solid evidence for their opinions?

@JudyN It's not no holds barred. The Mods do a good job there . BEF has received an apology from one poster who had spoken with out thinking. There were mixed thoughts on the subject. The members did give their reasons and evidence but that works both ways. BEF started a thread about it because of a negative comment she had in real life about it . It was anecdotal and people gave their opinions. Perhaps its best to read the thread itself and make your own judgements.

Not too happy about forum members airing grievances on another forum to be honest, specially considering the lengths gone to to make @BEF welcome and address her concerns.

I am not very happy to see a forum member sharing her grievances about another forum here.We have gone to great lengths to address the issues mentioned and given positive feedback in subsequent threads .
Incidentally Pet Forums UK is definitely not a 'free-for-all!'

there are some very opinianated posters over there some of the comments were not called for in my opinion:(
But you had some great replies on your other threads so maybe you should stick around for a little longer:)
Your doing okay over there though 53 posts and 52 likes:D

Last edited:
@BEF How are you ? Not seen any posts here or PF from you lately. Can you let us know how you are ?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back