The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Venture Coats??

chelynnah

Whippet Servant
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm putting this in showing as I know Venture tend to have stands at the whippet shows.  I had their info at one point, but it's gone awol.  As we had our two out today and it was freezing so they were wearing their coats we were stopped by a lady with a Saluki who wanted to know where we got them.

I took her number and said I would phone her with the info as they take telephone orders, but of course can't find the order form I had stashed about.  Does anyone have the info handy?

Many thanks

Wendy

(hiding from Dawn after admitting we use coats LOL)

Its no good hiding Wendy we can still see you. :eek:

Dawn

And you'd be appalled at how well you could see the coats!! (we got the dayglo orange and yellow so they could be seen at night)

Wendy

Are they night security gaurds at your 'home'?

All they need now is their antlers!!!!!!

Yup - at the moment they have to share one set:(

Actually we hang the coats up in the window - the sight of them alone usually scares people away LOL.

Dawn, in one of our chatroom chats of long ago, you once told me that you actually HAD got whippet coats having acquired them 'by default' - I never got to ask you the story behind that comment....

So come clean Dawn!!! tell us all the shock horror story of the Aphrael whippet coats...

Smiling mischeviously, Rachel:) (she of the 'mine love their coats' whippies) xx

Many years ago, when NOAH was still bending his thumb, Richard kept whippets and so did I. Richard's dogs didn't have coats, other than the ones they were born with! Mine had! When we got together I realised that whippets do not need coats. Our dogs live outside in a well insulated, draught free, rain-proof kennel.

I did think that whippets dithering was a sign of them being cold I now know that it isn't!! Whippets 'get the dither on' even stood in front of the fire!!!

We do have the coats I brought with me but have never used them whilst here. The coats are in the loft insulating that area.

We would use coats in particular cases but not as a routine. for example IF we had bathed the dogs on the day of a show and the weather was horrendously cold / windy.

BTW, Wendy, our coats are dark blue and NOT luminous!!!!!! :shocked:

It IS a personal choice and our dogs are quite happy without coats. Anyone who insists that whippets NEED coats is wrong, they are akin to those folk who refuse to let their dogs run free IMHO.

Hi Dawn,

I unquestioningly put my whippets in coats when I first owned them cos it said to do it in all the whippet books I had.... thanks to you I have questionned their coat wearing and now only put them on when it's raining or we're likely to be doing a lot of standing around in the cold.

I've noticed coats can be a real hindrance in free running dogs - they impede their forward movement at the run.  Still though, I remain a real sucker for those beautifully tailored coats you can get for whippets and just love an excuse to spend el husbando's money on my mutts!

Incidentally, the whippets of mine who don't feel the cold so much  are the two that I bought in at several  months of age, both having been kennelled outside for their first months.

Rachel :)

PS did NOAH have a coat?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back