The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vetmedin help

Patwat

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 11 yr old cavalier is on Vetmedin, furosemide and Fortekor. I believe that the Vetmedin is the cause of chronic Diarrhea. I know that she must take the Vetmedin but what can I give to help the diarrhoea. She has only been eating chicken and rice and sometimes not even wanting that. Could that make the problem worse? She is having to wear a nappy in the house which is not pleasant. Has anyone any advice please.

Others may have some suggestions, but have you asked your vet about this? They might be able to tweak dosages or try alternative medications.

I have just made another appointment at the vets for tomorrow. Last time I took her they said she must have the full dose of Vetmedin which is what is causing the problem. However the dosage is linked to weight and I think she may have lost quite a bit. Thanks for replying

My Jack Russell was on vetmedin and never had diarrhoea...could it be something else ...

How long was your JR on Vetmedin? My dog has been on it nearly two years now and I have read that they can build up toxins over time.
She is also on Fortekor and furosemide.

He was on his meds for 18mths ..he was also on furosemide and cardalis ....never had runny tummy he did go off of his food ...

Thank you for replying. She has always been a bit fussy but now even worse. I am dreading going to the vets tomorrow.

How is she in herself apart from that ;)

Can only go for short walks. I bought her a pram so she can walk then rest. Wheezing not too bad at all. Tail wags when she knows she is going out. Sleeps good every night but not playful anymore. She is not in pain so I am praying the vet can just give something for the Diarrhea.

Bless you ...let us know what the vet says ....xx

Originally the vet said give her chicken and rice and if that’s all she wants that’s ok. NOW they say maybe the chicken is upsetting her so not to give that. Now on kibble only which she doesn’t usually like to eat but I got about half a portion down her this morning while pushing her in her pram. Lol.

She recoils from all fish. Won’t touch it. I can hear whooshing noises like water (or blood maybe) from inside her and she is very subdued. Won’t even take her tablets which she normally gobbles up. Gums are still pink. After two days of no chicken she is better in the poo department not good but better.

Sounds like she has a fluid build up ...I hope she is ok xxx

The poor girl:( If she goes further downhill at all, given her age, condition and medications, I wouldn't hesitate to call the vet again - they may be happy to have a quick phone chat with you about what's going on, and judge if she needs to come in.

Have been back to the vets and they gave me a bag of royal cannin gastrointestinal and two tins of wet food the same. I say gave but obviously charged a small fortune lol. She recoiled from the wet food!
The kibble she has eaten about 30gr in two days. The vet said she is responding well to all the meds and if I can get her to eat she could go another 3months. Poo situation has improved since we stopped the chicken. She is losing weight obviously but still wants her short walks and then I give her some of the royal cannin as if it’s a treat but she won’t have more than about 10 tiny pieces. I am thinking about giving her some porridge made with half milk and half water but I am worried that it might upset the poo situation.

I think you have to think about her quality of life and if the bad days outweigh the good days ...:(

If it was me - which is an easy thing to say as I'm not in your shoes - then I would concentrate on making her days as happy as possible rather than keeping her going as long as possible. Unless it makes her feel worse, I would be giving her porridge, cake, whatever she felt like. And as hard as it may be, as long as she is happier this way, I'd accept the poo problems, even if it is unpleasant for you. There will be plenty of time in the future to scrub carpets...

I would do as JudyN says ....one of mine was diagnosed with kidney failure...I put on a renal diet as to the vets advice and regretted it as he didn't really like it ....so give her anything she wants to eat and do .....make every day precious xxx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back