The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vibrating dog collars

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just a random insight - I've worked out how to get notifications of emails on my Fitbit. When one comes in, I feel a vibration on my wrist. And, although it doesn't hurt in the slightest, and I can't even say it's uncomfortable, there's something wierd about it. And not weird in a good way.

Now, I am the proverbial princess who can feel a pea through 20 mattresses, but many dogs are also sensitive princessess... and they have no idea why they've just had this weird tingling sensation in their neck. Yes, they might associate it with a particular behaviour, but it still... isn't right. Which could easily make it a lot more scary than a sharp 'Oi!' from a trusted owner. (Not that sharp 'Oi's are the right way to go about training either, of course ;))

I agree, they certainly can be an aversive tool.

I briefly thought about something like that because of Timber becoming deaf, but we don't really need one because he is very good at checking in.

I think the citronella collars are worse though. The strong scent stays on the dogs' hair for ages after it has been delivered.

I was wondering what Jasper would have made of a vibration - pretty sure he'd have thought that there was a wasp stuck under his collar and would be terrified wondering when it was going to sting him. That really isn't a good thought.

Perhaps I’ve come into this thread somewhat late. If I’m wanting to attract her attention when she’s engrossed elsewhere a sibilant ‘pssst’ is my starter. If that doesn’t work a clearing of my throat with “ahem” is next. Success is rewarded with a treat and praise. I love those shepherds’ whistles or the squeaky bits from her toys - not dissimilar to Harpo Marx. Just something to distract her. Should Mabel lose her hearing (heaven forbid) I’d have to think again but definitely not a vibrating collar.

Should Mabel lose her hearing (

I strongly recommend to everyone to encourage a regular 'check in'.

It's not hard, any time your dog looks at you, reward that. Either with a treat, an ear rub, a toy or a "good dog". That gets them accustomed to regularly looking at you, and that is invaluable if they ever lose their hearing.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back