The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Views On Clicker Training Please?

posh totty

whippet servant
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
im currently having a go at clicker training with blue the ig and its very early days so thought i would ask if anyone had any advice or views etc on the method?

many thanks in advance :thumbsup:

we had adog behaviourist visit a couple of years ago when we were having trouble with Annie (spaniel) barking at other dogs. He recommended clicker training and the use of small bits of sausage as a reward. I am sure that if we had tried it, it would have worked but we didn't. We paid his fee and she still barks :angry:

blue is fab now on his standing for showing but you would think im trying to murder him when asking to walk on! you know the little man and shy he is not! but im trying it as a different approach to maybe see if its show nerves from myself and him? he is only like it when put on his show lead/ so behaviour modification could be an answer? :thumbsup:

i do feel it is my fault as showing has not been made to be fun like lure coursing? somehow i dont think the KC would allow me to take a lure to crufts???? could ask i suppose tho :- "

this is novice handler and novice dog combo getting in a muddle and i want to do my best to sort the situation for blues sake

I tried clicker training with Hebe but had to stop as she was actually scared of the "click" noise :b What a woos :wub:

I havn't tried with either of the other 2 as Hebe is usually around & it would only worry her. She is very noise sensitive & things like stones flicking up off the road & hitting the van make her hyperventilate :( so I suppose to her the clicker sounds the same.

I know a lot of people who have had very good results using a clicker so I hope it works for you & Blue :luck:

There was a topic on this a little while back which had some useful information:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=28424

I've just started doing a little bit of clicker with Sophie (my new little rescue), who doesn't seem to have had any training at all before. I'm amazed how quickly she's picking it up - but she's also a bit worried by the clicker, bless her, I have to use it in my pocket so it isn't too loud.

I would recommend it, but its worth reading a reliable book first. I've done some clicker training at home with Bobby and Dolly, and they both seem to be very receptive to it. :)

Bobby is 8 yrs old, so he had previously learnt to sit, down etc but he is much more enthusiastic when the clicker is used. :) Similarly, Dolly does basics such as sit, down and on your bed much more reliably and enthusiasically using the clicker. :wub:

I take Dolly to dog training classes and we have just started a clicker class (first one last week) so am looking forward to learning more.

im having home lessons at the min and now stepping up the ringcraft classes too , its awful to see him as he is at min , he just slinks around when that lead comes out! happy as ever in every other way bouncing leaping , wall of death etc but bring that lead out and boy he sinks! im not worried about wether he will show again i just want my boy happy in all situations!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back