The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

view's on picking the right pup

tony warren

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
what are peoples view's when selecting a pup do you go for the breeding or size,in my view a line has got to start some where and some time its luck of the draw what do you think. :b

We usually go for breeding first then witnin the litter - character, colour (I know that shouldn't come in to it but we can't help it) and size (which is a bit more important to us ped. racers). Trouble is the smallest quite often ends up the biggest and vice versa :teehee: I always like an outgoing pup that is full of itself, though sometimes the pup that watches before it joins in turns out the best. A greedy pup can be a good sign I think. A strong looking pup with a big bum is good. Oh, and if it bites Nigel then thats a bonus :lol:

I don't really think you can tell which is going to be fastest though. I wish I could :))

Lol, i dont believe anyone can pick the right racing dog but you can pick the pup for you & if theyre half decent thats a bonus! :D

As far as picking the fastest you might as well toss a coin!

I've heard some pretty strange ways of people deciding on pups!

:p we never chose mickey whizz we bred his mother and he was the only one in the litter so of course we had to keep him. Im glad we did. Our new young un we had no intention of getting him. It was thru taking a whippet news to mitchs house that we ended up with him. :lol: He was the last one left out of a litter of 5 and when dropping the whippet news mag off we saw him and fell in love with him and after much humming and ha ing we bought him. :cheers:

and this is what im saying about line's starting in racing when i picked blue up at hinckley neil gilbert said there is two dog pups left in the motor you pick as kevin was not there so hey your like this i passed mad mick and chose blue who i would not swap for the world and then as i said how long do you give them to sort of prove themself's well i waited nearly three yrs and then things started to happen and that why some times you no you have something but it not showing give it time it will.and all of that litter proved themselfs. ;)

Tony my method for what it is worth would let all the others have the pick and whatever is left is yours thats what happened with Fluke!----Coral and Kipper the next litter we just kept the only bitch Waterford then start em young and keep em keen you get out what you put in Steve

My method is similar to Steve's with Waterford as far as picking a pup goes ... take the only bitch in the litter :lol: !!!

yeah i do belive in, you only get out what you put in and plus that other thing luck i went to the champs at kinsley with a dog that had just got over injury and had been of for about three weeks and i thought he may have a chance at a title and thats it he came off not even blowing and he kept going and going the rest is history.and with me i only keep dogs had a bitch she was in the kennel a day and boys being boy,s out to show off nearly killed each other. :oops:

:) MY METHOD OF PICKING A PUP IS SOMETHING MY DAD TOLD ME YEARS AGO HE USED TO RACE GREYHOUNDS BACK IN THE 1950s AND HAD QUIET A BIT OF SUCCESS. :D IS METHOD WAS IF YOU KEPT BITCHES PICK THE ONE THAT LOOKS MOST LIKE THE SIRE,AND VISA VERSA, :D DONT KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE AS HEARD OF THAT METHOD :D

never heard of that John but if it worked for your dad it's good enough for me lol, will bear that in mind in the future. :p

I race bitch's so prefer to buy a pup :D cost me a fortune for a section last time :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
;) ive heard of that way john my dad used to pick them that way, my little bitch is the double of master blaster hope she runs like him

close you eyes and pick one up ...its all luck

Ha Ha why not let the breeder describe the pups over the phone, :thumbsup: and you pick the one you like the sound of best :cheers: GAZ

If we have had a choice. We always take the first bitch that wags its tail and goes to Ken. But most of ours were born at home.

I LIKE THE BIGGEST IN THE LITTER, AND SIZE DOES MATTER MY DOG IS 26 INCH TO THE SHOULDER AND 51 LB IN WEIGHT . AND ALL MY DOG HAVE BEEN BIG AND IT WORKS FOR ME .(EVER MAN OR WOMAN FOR THEM SELF I SAY) :luck:

;) I heard many a greyhound man say that a jealous dog usually makes a good racing dog.....but how do you pick a jealous pup out of a litter at 12 weeks old......ERRRRRRR....I think i'll pass on that one :p

Mmmmm... I wonder is that why some people prefer bitches than dogs, because females are generally more jealous than males :) :D :p

I think i'll log out now before a lot of the opposite sex have a chance to reply :eek:

take the liveliest and the nicest looking one their thats what we did and i cant complain, although dad dint want tig :( but i got my way in the end lol :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back