The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Vocal whippet at bedtime

Alice and Joe

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

I have just joined the forum and have had my whippet puppy since Saturday (25th July).

She is 8 weeks old and is a little sweetheart. We are doing well with house training with only a few little accidents during the night (no poo just pee).

The only issue we are having with her at the moment is that she is crying very loudly at night! Last night she cried for almost an hour! I know it is normal for puppies to cry at night as my parents had a border terrier pup a few years ago. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about anything that may comfort her when we go to bed?

She has kongs, a toy from her original home, a stuffed rhino ( who is about the same size as her and she loves him) and I have put an old t shirt of mine for her to cuddle up to.

Should we try putting the radio on tonight?

I know she will get used to her new home but we want her to be less stressed at bed time.

My fiancé is also worried about the neighbours!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :- )

A radio playing softly can be useful, also try covering her when she's in bed, a lot of Whippets love being covered and it don't appear to matter how warm it is. And congratulations on selecting the most wonderful breed to share your life with. One other way you could virtually guarantee she will be quiet at night is to have her in bed with you, but be warned if you decide to go down this route the arrangement will be for life, once she gets in your bed she will expect it every night. I'm sure every one has read the book on the breeds history they always point out that one of their duties was to act as a hot water bottle at night.

Thanks for the reply and I think we'll try some classic FM tonight and see how she gets on.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back