The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Volunteering at christmas with dog?

Titch123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hiya oh 'database of valuable information peeps'

Have found myself free on Christmas day & Boxing Day & would love to volunteer somewhere i.e. rescue centre,kennels.....anywhere really....local skydiving centre!!....doesn't have to be doggy orientated. (previous exp with Crisis,Shark Trust,local hospice - unfortunately Crisis cannot house dog,already asked!)
Am up for anything - scooping poo & befriending scared/'aggressive' dogs in the freezing cold is cool too.
Only problem I am coming across time & time again is I need to bring my dog with me & no-where seems to be up for partaking :-/

He is the most wonderous little soul. Good as gold,very well trained (got his puppy & bronze good citizen awards) very friendly....fit (for long walks) likes other dogs/cats/humans......happy with sudden sounds (fireworks etc) .....traffic,crowds.....he's good with everything except being alone/apart from humans - hates it! hates,hates,hates it!
To be fair,his breed (CKCS) were bred to be human companions. 'Tis only the modern world we all have to conform to that demand we caretakers all go to serve another for 9 hours a day & leave our sweet-peas to fend for themselves - amongst what?! Brick walls....a mediocre radio station,a dog-eared (scuse the pun) toy & a geriatric cat.....yeah yippee! Wouldn't you be a bit rattled & feel downtrodden too?! :- )

Anyhows,veering off track a mite. My question to you lovely lot is:

Do you know or can you recommend somewhere that would appreciate an extra helping hand on said days but is ok about me bringing Muttley?? (cannot find anywhere on the internet - or through real-life friends that even brushes the topic I'm presenting :- ( )
Such a shame if I can't find somewhere.....don't leave me with Die Hard 1,2,3 & 4,a bottle of Baileys & feeling majorly underused...please?! x

Sorry,meant to add,am in the SE London/Kent area...have got own transport but only up to say a 30 miles radius?

Last edited by a moderator:
I commend you for wanting to help, well done. Have you got on the dog and bone and asked dog charitys? Hope you find a place..

Aw cheers Lurcherman,thank you but 'they' would be doing me a service more than the other way round - keeping me out of trouble & away from materialism :- )
I haven't rung anyone like Battersea or Dogs Trust yet as figured they may have to adhere to certain protocol (similar to Crisis) being big,well-known charities an' all :-/
Was thinking perhaps smaller,family run centres who selflessly look after lost souls 365 days a year & who'd possibly welcome a day off - someone coming in to feed them breakfast,clean up (after the dogs not the humans :p) & take their charges for a long walk then cuddles whilst they enjoy a family dinner.....am I romanticising the idea?!

Will take the route you suggested & just literally go down the local phone book to sell my wares & see what I come up with. Guess one of them might be able to throw up an alternate idea or two or offer a re-'fur'-al ;-D....even if they,themselves can't help. Contacts baby....contacts...: :-D x

The problem some might have with you bringing you dog is potential health and safety risks. If your dog is a certified therapy dog then that could make a difference, but unfortunately with laws the way they are now a lot of charities. Homes etc are unable to have animals involved who haven't gone through official certifications or at the very least that they know well personally :(

Hmmm Chelynnah.

Your post threw up a massive train of thought for me & I ran away with the idea of Titch being registered as a Therapy dog! :-D

Unexpectantly through the dot org window (thinking it's predominantly an Americano thang) I put forward my registration for Titch!

Should hear a response within 10 days ;-)
You gottta be in it to win it eh?!
I think I've kinda braced myself for the fact that me & the mutt ain't gonna be able to give our services away freely on Xmas day....mainly due to red tape :- (
Thank you for your realisation input.

Lurcherman & Chelynnah you have helped in two areas I hadn't thought/found myself of in the place of before asking.....thank you x x

Sorry for the weirdo post,had copious amounts of alcohol in my system & thought it a great idea at the time to get the laptop out. :oops:
......& great! I really have time inbetween working fulltime,being a fulltime student & volunteering blah blah to seriously think about putting Titchs name forward to be a PAT dog....I'll need a flippin' therapy dog soon as there are only 24 hours in a day! :'( :teehee:

@things you do when intoxicated......must write a book sometime :p x

Update....still no luck with the 'Titch & me' idea though have managed to bag myself a dog sitter for Xmas day,Boxing Day & New Years Day if needed

Shall revise my question.....

Anyone with canines in any sort of rescue centre in the SE London/Kent area in want of an extra pair of human hands over those days.......any hours - early or late,can do :- )

I am fairly experienced in a few quarters....been training with 4 diff dogs (Boxer,Wolfhound mix,Border Collie! (Boy are those brains never ceasing to rest :-D),CKC Spaniel,with varied abilities from puppy to gold (KC good citizen) with 5 different trainers/ideals.
Am open to any task.....your direction re: obedience......long walks....scooping poo....befriending....aggressiveness.....anything....

Am easy going,have own transport,am toilet trained,not toy or food aggressive & ask for no monetary value/input - for the love of dogs & a feeling of wishing to give my time usefully as I do not place very much emphasis on the whole ITS CHRISTMAS! thing.
Homeless people are still being failed by the state....dogs are still being cast off as secondary playthings & put down for no reason other than being unable to provide 13 offspring to the puppy farms grr.....! x

You sound so perfect, wish everybody in todays world was like you.. Hope you find your place.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back