The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Waking up in the night - any advice?

Pam99

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So Ruby is 10 weeks old tomorrow and im afraid to say i gave up on crate training on night 4 as i was just wide awake all night listening for her downstairs. Anyway she is now sleeping in our bedroom in her bed but is still waking alot during the night. She was doing 3 hour stints but yesterday was a bad night (she had her 2nd jab yesterday) i took her out at 11.30, 1, 3.30, 5 and 7.30 each time she had a little wee then went straight back to sleep in her bed after id settled her in there for a few mins, she always goes back to sleep quite quickly but should i be making her wait longer inbwetween loo breaks? I just automatically wake up when she does and take her out straight away.

Attachments

• IMG-20201229-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20201229-WA0008.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_20201222-090841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201222-090841_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
I believe the jabs can unsettle pups, so this might be the reason for the bad night - or it might be 'just a bad night'. It's still very early days and if she wakes you, goes straight outside and then straight back to bed, I would carry on doing what you're doing - it reinforces her 'good' behaviour. If you make her hang on, she could become more unsettled, and chances are she'd end up having an accident and possibly then conclude that it's OK to wee indoors - puppies really can't hold it for very long.

Broken nights suck, but you'll get through it and it'll be worth it in the long run.

I believe the jabs can unsettle pups, so this might be the reason for the bad night - or it might be 'just a bad night'. It's still very early days and if she wakes you, goes straight outside and then straight back to bed, I would carry on doing what you're doing - it reinforces her 'good' behaviour. If you make her hang on, she could become more unsettled, and chances are she'd end up having an accident and possibly then conclude that it's OK to wee indoors - puppies really can't hold it for very long.

Broken nights suck, but you'll get through it and it'll be worth it in the long run.
Thank you, it does seem like its 2 steps forward and 1 back. Luke with potty training she'll go 24 hours without weeing in the house and then do 2 piddles on the carpet!! Only ever during the day though but she has started going towards the door and now taking herself out rather then us having to carry her. Just need to figure out a way of her keeping herself occupied a bit more rather then me always having to play with her. Im back working from home on 4th Jan. Multi tasking is going to be on another level

You could try playing the flitting game to help her start getting more independent.

It is described about ⅔ of the way down this page.

https://www.thecanineconsultants.co.uk/post/separation-anxiety-fact-vs-fiction

Thank you, I'll definitely give this a go, im not intending on leaving her alone for a while yet but there are times when she'll need to be left for short periods of time and ive read alot aboit boxers suffering badly with separation anxiety which is a big concern!

Thank you, I'll definitely give this a go, im not intending on leaving her alone for a while yet but there are times when she'll need to be left for short periods of time and ive read alot aboit boxers suffering badly with separation anxiety which is a big concern!
To be honest, I think if you have any breed of dog, you will read that they are more prone to suffer XYZ conditions than other breeds, just because you are reading more about them than you are about other breeds. I know people with boxers who leave them for a few hours at a time, the dogs just sleep.

But it is a good idea to teach your puppy that being alone is OK. You don't have to do it as soon as your puppy comes home with you, but when you are ready this game is a good place to start.

You can also work on the 'going out' cues while still not leaving her. Pick up your keys, put your shoes on, then take them off and sit down again. Do same, walk to front door, open it, close it, and come back in. Walk out the door and straight back in, walk out the door, pause, and come back in. If you can go out, shut the door behind you, and come back in after 5 seconds, that's a great place to build from - even if it's some time before you can leave her long enough to do anything useful.

I just automatically wake up when she does and take her out straight away.
Way to go! This won’t last very long. If there are other humans in the household - perhaps share the night duties?
As for leaving alone - I would consider approaching this way: what would you like her to do while she is alone? Best answer IMO - sleep! So, when it’s time to start training for being alone - take her on an exciting walk (not the same as tiring or long), and step out for a bit when she crashes and falls asleep... repeat, extending the absence a little.

Reactions: Hal

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back