The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking 2 At Once

k4tie-d

StarR Collars
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
did some lead training today, :sweating:

ask my neighbourgh if i could use her front garden as wee only have a back one, so went out there so they didnt associate it with having fun like they would the back :blink:

anyway, ruby wasnt sure at all think she was more worried about the new outside, took alot of praise and alot of rewards to get her round it once.

star next she was worse than ruby wasnt up for moving unless the reward was offered.

i put it down to the being a little nervous in the new surroundings so thought they might do better if it took them to the front on the leads together so they could be used to it and be a little more confident being on their own if they had been there with the other first.

they walked far better but i spent more time untangaling them and me, than we did actualy walking :wacko:

so just wandered what you guys with more than one doggy do when you take them out,

do you use these double leads?

or do they grow out of wanting to tie you up and leave you to attempt a harry huidini? :teehee:

i think for the minute we will stick to one at a time but i just want to be prepared for when they can go out properly :sweating:

I have been doing the same with Zulu yesterday and today. He is skittish as well and wouldn't walk at all unless he saw the treat in my hand. The dog book I am reading says to let them roam around with the lead clipped on by themselves and occasionaly pick it up and walk with them a few steps. I only do this for 5 mins so he doesn't get too fed up. :angry:

Pax was just the same and now he is great on the lead. I would do it with them individually for a bit myself but then again I don't really know much (or anything) about dog training but would have thought they will just want to play when they are together.

Anyway, good luck! :luck:

you will find that after about 3 or 4 'difficult' walks they just get the hang of it :thumbsup:

i always use seperate leads as it gives you the opportunity to control the dogs individualy. imho i think it is safer. but yes, they dooo tie you in knots! (w00t)

im proud now that i have mastered the art of 2 in each hand with different lengths/ tensions on each lead :blink: (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

I started both mine off on a puppy lead of their own so that they got used to it and when they were good walking on a single lead we did the dual lead which is how they walk now... tis great.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Your pups will quickly get used to lead walking. The difficul;ty with two is geting them to go in the same direction and not trip you up, just take each walk very slowly. I now also walk four on four separate leads. We are OK until we see a squirrel or dead rabbit in the road....lol

we use three leads with couplers attched just for convenience but think if i only had two i would use individual leads as i always find it better to control one on one

i managed two well on normal leads but with now having Lily who is all over the place when we all go walkies together i purchased a coupler from JULEY on here who made it for me :thumbsup: i have the two older girls on the coupler and they happily potter along while i can concentrate on pup with my other hand! :lol: Juley also made the little lead bits on the coupler adjustable so i can have one dog closer to me than the other if i wish to :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I take three on separate leads, have always used separate leads even when I had six to walk!

The trouble with having two pups together is they just want to play and tend to ignore what you are trying to teach them.

Having kept two from the same litter, they were a nightmare and I have never done it since!

good luck :cheers:

Sounds like fun :teehee: . No advice to add at the moment as I have the joys of walking two to get to grips with too although easier for me as Phoebs is really good and I'm hoping Skye will want to follow her :)) .

I do remember steering being difficult with Phoeb so I used to practice in the cul de sac where we lived round the pavements using a little flick of the lead and my voice when she needed to turn. Like everything they just get used to it over time :)) Also occasionally she would stop and not want to go forward so rightly or wrongly i would pick her up and briefly carry her past whatever it was that had spooked her :b

I also walk mine on separate leads, I find it far easier to control them.

Your pups are going to very silly on the lead to begin with anyway, but when they calm down, I think you will find you can manage them no problem :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back