The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking Baby Miles, or how to properly carry 73 lbs of dog (33 kg)

Ari_RR

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
1. Walking somewhat nicely....
B1.jpg

2. I am not waking any more!!
B2.jpg

3. Plan B (contingency) activated.
B3.jpg

B4.jpg

Dog tolerating being carried, I think, is a great thing. Just like being able to spend time in the crate. You never know what kind of situation you will be in that may necessitate carrying your quadruped.

I only wish my back would tolerate dog carrying as well as Baby Miles does...

Last edited:
Aaw, why wouldn't he walk ?

It was one of our musts when choosing dog breed this time. Must be able to carry said dog.
We are both getting older and much as I love big dogs like my old Bouvier cross I know if anything went wrong we would never be able to carry a 50 kilo dog so we set ourselves a max of 25kg..

Murphy is used to being carried , for his first year we carried him up and down stairs so he doesnt wriggle but I used to have a dog who hated being lifted and would snap, a very bad situation...

I can't imagine carrying Jasper - it would be like doing battle with a very angry set of bagpipes. I used to carry him up and downstairs when he was a pup but had to stop when he got a bit too big and also a bit growly about it. I do worry what would happen if something happened and he needed to be carried, but at 34kg, and me not being strong, I couldn't really do it even if he as compliant.

It does help with training though, as you have to concentrate on strategies to get the dog to move to where you want him to go rather than just moving him yourself.

Aaw, why wouldn't he walk ?
Admittedly, this was a long walk, with chasing squirrels and playing with other dogs along the way, so probably tired.
I was out of treats by then, so any strategy based on treats was not very helpful.
But main reason I think is that he is just starting to get into the defiance stage.

Not that this is our standard operating procedure, of course :) but there are times when you are on the clock, need to get back, out of treats, and your “puppy” just decided to hit the breaks.

Hahahahaha wrapped around little finger comes to mind. Clever boy:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back