The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking Dogs

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ok few questions 4 u.

1st how many dogs do u have? how many do u walk @ the same time? reason i ask is it looks like we will b keeping 3 pups and i want to b able to walk the 3 together, any tips please? i have 5 adults i walk zak (aged 10 now) and kez (aged 5 now) together and they r no problem, i walk the 2 youngsters rio and gem together not really a problem unless we c a bike (gem) another dog (both) then theres nikki who gets walked on her own as shes so hyper pulls, spins, hunches if u try to walk another dog with her, they go 4 each other, u can do it after a while but its very difficult. so any advice on walking these 3 pups together wud b appreictaed :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have nine, We have the greyhound and the four whippets who get walked together - Darren can take these on his own, i can only take two or three, Then we have the three young lurcher's who get walked together, Darren can take these on his own too and lastly Maddi who is usually walked on her own as she has certain dogs she won't tolerate. If we take the dogs together we can take all the whippets and the young lurcher's together.

We usually walk a pup with a older well behaved dog so they learn from them, but they are all very quite behaved and don't bother with other dogs. The greyhound is perfect to walk pups with as she never leaves your side and doesn't even notice other dogs!! Hope that helps, Sounds like you will have your hands full with three pups!! :luck: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We have nine, We have the greyhound and the four whippets who get walked together - Darren can take these on his own, i can only take two or three, Then we have the three young lurcher's who get walked together, Darren can take these on his own too and lastly Maddi who is usually walked on her own as she has certain dogs she won't tolerate. If we take the dogs together we can take all the whippets and the young lurcher's together. We usually walk a pup with a older well behaved dog so they learn from them, but they are all very quite behaved and don't bother with other dogs. The greyhound is perfect to walk pups with as she never leaves your side and doesn't even notice other dogs!! Hope that helps, Sounds like you will have your hands full with three pups!! :luck: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
i trained jo well lol (w00t)

i'v got 9 at mow ( 2 of shell and tam's ) if matt's with me ( my son ) we take them all, think the most me Darren and jo have walked together is 10 all our dogs get on together same if me and shelly walk our dogs together again we have walked 10 all of lead and they are really good :thumbsup:

Lynda takes 9
What happens if a squirrel, cat or rabbit dashes past you !!!!!! I remember once taking 5 down the country lane and

a squirrel ran straight up the middle of the road. They all lurched after it, pulling me behind at a very undignified gallop.

After that I invested in some halti head collars. Don't take more than 4 now. 2 on each side.

I must say Lynda that yours are so much better behaved than mine.

Yes Carole, Yvonne and l quite often take 10 out between us,and this has included pups from a very young age,we uusually take then with the older dogs to start with.If i,m with Tam or Toni we will take all ours out togeather buy if i'm on my own l take them in 2 lots, :))

I have 5 dogs .

One of my oldies is very frail and only has little walks by herself .

I walk the other 4 together . When they are on lead 2 on each side . two of my whippets are very young so I got them gentle leaders ( like halti but better ) they are great .

They all get off the lead together (w00t)

I have 7. Im lucky because they all walk really quietly on the lead. We have come across squirrels but they only surge for a second but nothing that cant be controlled.

They free run together everyday but only in areas I consider safe and away from the masses. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 5 dogs 2 adults and 3 pups, and i only ever let 2 off together, anymore than that in my opinion is a recipe for disaster

when u r walking say 4 together how do u manage to pick up their business? mine r maybe not that well behaved dont know whether to contact a dog trainer?

I walk all 5 of mine together.The two Lurchers have Halti,s,as they are cat haters,and if they see one on route,i have to dig my heels in.

My 3 non peds all walk really nicely.All 5 get let off together,the 3 younger dogs playing,the two older ones running together.

Amandaxx

Anyone looking at my signature?.... No?.... in that case we've got 4 :-

Ok we've got 21 (w00t)

Tony walks 3 lots, I walk 2. Names will mean nothing to most but basically they're walked in groups that we know we can control should we encounter someone with a dog that they can't control. :teehee:

Carol with our pups when they was little and first out on walks, we'd take them out with mum and grandma. When they got older and more confident we seperated them so one youngster walks within each group.

They've all been trained to wait till they're on the moss before they empty but we have poop bags for any accidents.

It might sound daft but when you've got a load of dogs already trained the youngsters tend to follow the trend so in some ways it can be easier.

when u r walking say 4 together how do u manage to pick up their business? mine r maybe not that well behaved dont know whether to contact a dog trainer?
Im afraid I cant answer this as mine go in the garden before we leave and are usually only on the lead a short time before they free run. Keeping an eye on the pooing off the lead takes practice but each one tends to have their favourite/regular area.

My bitches never poo or pee while on the lead which can sometimes be frustrating when Im in a location that they have to remain lead bound.

Training your dogs to walk on their leads beside (and behind if you have a few!), and not to pass you, and to wait when you ask them will help with the poo picking up situation :thumbsup:

i have 6 used to walk them together on my own

but after cat/hedge

rory jay together 1s old the other pulls my arm out (tried everything to stop him)

the other 4 i walk 2 in each hand tbh it depends where im going

always walk a pup with a adult as they learn from them

imo makes training easy

im lucky as my boys get on most of the time

3 pups what fun you are going to have with them

i only have ever had 1 pup at a time

2361790191_fc2d6f679d_s.jpg

22_11_08_1447.jpg

i can do 3 at a time on my scooter and tony does the other8 we ahve lead spliters so can have up to 4 dogs on one lead and they all are trained to go only on grass so there are set pit stops on our walks

7 for me, usually all walked on the same hand so I have a spare hand for poo. Playful pups are walked on opposite ends of the group or I pick the pace up which usually gets them to focus. It is true though, youngsters copy the adults. We are lucky that Kerry was so naturally well behaved and obedient, Blaze followed suit etc. Trudy has the hang of pretty much everything now, she's guilty of running off to meet people but I can now get her to stop mid run and come back.

so basically my bst bet is to try and walk 1 or 2 with one of the oldies like zak? may have 4 pups now as someone never turned up 2day :angry:

ok so a few of u have a few... do u ever get complaints off neighbours?? or get asked if u r running a boarding kennel?? lol

View attachment 70995View attachment 70996

i can do 3 at a time on my scooter and tony does the other8 we ahve lead spliters so can have up to 4 dogs on one lead
Hooray, Wendy does the splitters too! Just my two girls on their own are a nightmare if they're just on two normal leads. I get pulled along, dragged after cats, twisted up and just generally abused by them. They just don't seem to concern themselves with obedience when they're together though they're perfect little angels as individuals. When we added Fin this year, we went down another gear and now we all have to go at his speed, even better, and little Ace has been added this week and he's taken to it like a duck to water. It really is worth a try if your dogs get on well, you havn't got loads of leads to get your own hands and legs to get tangled up in and the dogs really seem to like it!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back