The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking my chi chi puppy

Lanney

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm new to the dog world my family & I have purchased a chi chi.We are so happy with our new addition & all love him to bits. We are struggling with walking him on our own if one or more walks him he will walk perfectly but if we walk him on our own it's a real struggle to get him to walk he's 18 weeks old any advice would be great fully received many thanks

I've never heard of a chi chi. Could you give some details of size and what the dog actually does when you're trying to walk him? There are folks on here who can give you good advice and I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

It's a cross between a

Chihuahua & Shih Tzu only a small puppy but loves walking with a few of us & walks very well.But when on his own it's really hard to get him to walk.

It sounds as if he gained his walking confidence in the company of several people. He now needs to build confidence when there are fewer people. Try walking with numbers that he is comfortable and gradually dropping off one person at a time. Encourage him with lots of praise and treats to follow you.

It is very common for small do owners to pick up their dogs during walks. Do try to resist this as he has to learn what the world looks like from ground level.

When he baulks, at walking with you, just wait him out. If he moves in the right direction then give him lots of praise and a treat. If he plants himself, or moves backwards, just wait him out again. Let him move away from things that worry him and give him time to become accustomed to them.

Sometimes dogs develop and association fear. This is when something scary happens when they are in a certain situation and they become nervous in that situation in future. This may have happened when he was being walked by one person. He now associates the scary thing with one person walking him. All you can do is take it really slowly and be guided by him. Lots of praise and treats for the brave boy and just time and patience for the nervous boy. Don't try to make him do things he is scared of. Just gently expose him to them and let him become accustomed in his own time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back