The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking Your Dogs

fra

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My brother and I walk my dogs in a local park. Obviously there are other dog owners with other dog Breeds etc....

As they walk past they look at the dogs and their face says it all. On one occassion a girl said to her friend "My god look how skinny those dog are" :b

I mean are these people Ignorant or just plain Stupid????? They are bloody racing dogs :rant: and yes you CAN see the last two ribs.

They should be paying more attention to their over weight unhealthy looking dogs which are so fat they wobble instead of walk. :x

Has anyone else experienced this?

several times (w00t)

i get urrgg arnt they thin :blink:

this is with jan who has "spread" after having her babies and bliss who has never been the slimmest of creatures :- "

I get those sorts of remarks all the time on the small estate I live on.

Some of the local kids are a pain in the ass with it although one or two know theyre "racing dogs". They say "we dont like your dogs theyre too skinny" and I growl back that I HATE kids and my dogs BITE CHILDREN cus they dont like kids either!! Failing that I usually glare at the offender and walk haughtily away or tell them to mind their own business if theyre adults in no uncertain terms but then I'm a miserable sod :lol:

All the time!! :wacko: What gets me is there was a TV programme on about dogs weights a few months backs and they said all dogs should have their pin bones visible - I've yet to see one around here!

On a positive note, I do get the odd positive comment from strangers about their condition but they're always people who have either had racing or working dogs in the past.

its amazing is'nt it!!!! it must be ignorance!!! i've has 15/16 yr olds screaming across the park" aay! you!! feed your f**k**g dog!!!!! unbelievable :b

morganna said:
I get those sorts of remarks all the time on the small estate I live on.Some of the local kids are a pain in the ass with it although one or two know theyre "racing dogs". They say "we dont like your dogs theyre too skinny" and I growl back that I HATE kids and my dogs BITE CHILDREN cus they dont like kids either!! Failing that I usually glare at the offender and walk haughtily away or tell them to mind their own business if theyre adults in no uncertain terms but then I'm a miserable sod :lol:

miserable sod :lol: . i see you are a fellow stokie.just do what i do if you get any abuse give em a moonie :lol: perhaps we could moonie together :oops:

:cheers: keith

my parents have small racing whippets and we were always getting the : (sometimes of adults to)

"Look at them greyhounds"

GREYHOUNDS!!???!!! there bout quarter of the size of bloody greyhounnds.

The kids are usualy like "do you race them at Bel vue...how much money have you won??"

and of course the dirty looks and sly "Look at them poor skinny dogs" Joys of owning the breed I guess

I think everyone has had something like that said to them at some point frankie,lol, i just give them dirty looks,LOL (w00t) :lol:

Rose :)

I think it's cos it's sadly become the norm for pet dogs to be overweight. So they are all used to seeing fat labs and retrievers and various crosses, any sighthound seems "skinny" in comparison, never mind a racing fit one. If they worried more about their own dogs weight and the health problems that's causing rather than what they deem as a "skinny" dog it would make more sense!

the other week we were out with Tia who is a little over weight,as we walked past this bloke & his daughter who was only about 4, she looked at Tia and said to her dad look a size zero dog, (w00t) now although i laughed i said to my hubby how sad a child of that age knows what a size zero is.if only Tia was more like a size 10 :lol:

A regular comment I'm afraid. One of mine is always on the skinny side despite the huge amount of food he eats.

just hope these people do not walk on to a whippet track somewhere lol when iv had this said to me about dogs in the past i just say to them well my dogs not a salad dodger,or a fridge magnet :p and they do say dogs take after there owners :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I must live near whippetgood!. My black greyhound was v. under weight when I first got him, he has now put on over a stone in weight. I used to walk him in a coat as people kept stopping me and asking if I was starving him. Some chance he is a greedy beggar.

midlanderkeith said:
morganna said:
I get those sorts of remarks all the time on the small estate I live on.Some of the local kids are a pain in the ass with it although one or two know theyre "racing dogs". They say "we dont like your dogs theyre too skinny" and I growl back that I HATE kids and my dogs BITE CHILDREN cus they dont like kids either!! Failing that I usually glare at the offender and walk haughtily away or tell them to mind their own business if theyre adults in no uncertain terms but then I'm a miserable sod :lol:

miserable sod :lol: . i see you are a fellow stokie.just do what i do if you get any abuse give em a moonie :lol: perhaps we could moonie together :oops:

:cheers: keith

That would frighten everything in sight in my case Keith!!! Cattle round here and stuff like that,have enough trouble with them as it is!! I've alwalys preferred dogs to kids anyway but some folk jst ask for it dont they?Are you related to Miss Marple by the way - Stokie!! :teehee:

I find its mainly kids that do the look at that skinny dog thing,a lot of kids have no idea what a whippet actually is, adults who dont know what they are tend to just look.

I've also had the baby greyhounds comments ect ect.

The main question I get from adults is, do you race them? I always say yes just for fun, I always add it's not like greyhound racing there's no money involved, because most people think it's just like greyhound racing :blink:

I usually find that people are different once they met them and had a stroke because they realise they are happy well adjusted dogs, not cruelty cases :lol:

I've had the odd 'ooo they are thin though aren't they? I just say they are supposed to be, you don't don't get fat athletes :D

I am told that all the time, someone said to me one day ''god isnt your dog thin?'' i said that she was meant to be and thats the breeding. thought she took in what i said, except next time i seen her she said '' your dogs still thin isnt she''

:angry: havent people ever seen a lurcher b4!!

*Lesley* said:
I've had the odd 'ooo they are thin though aren't they? I just say they are supposed to be, you don't don't get fat athletes :D
I love that, it's like my O.H. says 'have you ever seen Bernard Manning run ?' (w00t)

No one has said that too me yet. but my whippetXbeddie, ash is only 6months now so i have plenty of time for hearing crap like that! i usually get people saying - ''Aww look at that greyhound'' or ''thats a small greyhound'', uhhh maybe its cos he is NOT a greyhound!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get it all the time but it's usually me they're talking about and not the dogs, don't think big ann has any trouble with that :clown: (w00t) :oops: hope she isn't on k9 or i'll be getting giant haystacked the next time she sees me :lol:

My vet commented last week that ed was thin :blink: ...ekkk ..i would have hated the vet to have seen him in his racing days, ed's about 3-4lb heavier now than he was then

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back