The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Warm lurcher

Montysdad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
I am wondering why my rescue lurcher is always very warm, he is in the best of health,
eats well and full of energy.Had him for 4 months now, he is very short haired, very little
fur on his chest but is always very warm no matter what the ambient temperature is.
He does tend to curl up into a tight ball at night but sure its not because he is cold.
Not really concerned about him just baffled, can only think that he must have very
efficient circulation.

Does he feel warm to the touch, or does his behaviour suggest that he's overheating? I'm wondering whether you just feel his body heat more as he's very short coated. Dogs naturally have a higher temperature than humans, which might be why he feels warm to you.

He is just warm all the time, resting or playing, never had a shorthaired dog before so i dont know if they
are naturally warmer to the touch but I can actually feel the heat coming off him if he sits nearby,
I know it sounds weird but other people have commented on it.He doesnt tend to drink much either,
just big drinks occasionally.As I said I dont have any health concerns with him, not much wrong
with a dog that can do lawn zoomies for 5 minutes and hardly be panting when hes finished.

I wonder if it's similar to naked rats feeling warmer than those with fur, with your boy having a thin coat maybe?
Not sure of the science behind it but coat type must have some influence on temp regulation...

He does have a very thin coat, hes a happy healthy boy so no worries

Attachments

• 20230123_204924.jpg
    20230123_204924.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
Dont know his exact mix, a lot of greyhound in him,possibly some saluki.
He has tremendous muscles and is very fast, will pinch food at every chance and loves trying to get
into my koi pond.Think he may have been a courser,he has no dew claws and was found wandering
the streets in the north east

Dont know his exact mix, a lot of greyhound in him,possibly some saluki.
He has tremendous muscles and is very fast, will pinch food at every chance and loves trying to get
into my koi pond.Think he may have been a courser,he has no dew claws and was found wandering
the streets in the north east
Well he’s landed on his feet. And no dew claws, what luck! I had to take Mabel to the vet on Friday as she’d twisted one right around but she didn’t even whimper. I repeat, that’s a lovely sighthound you’ve got.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back