The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Warning - Heartworm And Lungworm

kris

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
crossposted from another site

if you live in wales or south west

We took R... and D... to the vets last night, D for his booster and R to be microchipped. I was telling the vet about her habit of eating anything and everything and that recently she is fascinated by snails..I haven't caught her actually eating one, but she prods them to make them go into their shell, then picks them up and brings them in. He said well, dont take her to the west country or Wales then...they have heartworm/lungworm there, and its carried by snails and slugs, and is also found in the faeces of foxes, which eat them. He said its very very dangerous and kills dogs quite often too quickly for the vet to diagnose what is wrong!

He did say they rarely see any cases in this part of the country, but if climate change does happen then it will spread everywhere. I said my son lives in the south, he said well, if you visit him with Rosie and you think she might have eaten a snail, worm her as soon as you get home. I've looked it up, and its very nasty. I had heard of it, but I didn't know we got it here, I thought it was on the Continent and America.

http://www.fentonvets.co.uk/AngiostrongylusVasorum.html

http://www.stmarysvets.co.uk/infoa4.html#lungworm

Warning Milbemax should NOT be given to Border Collie or Collie Crosses.

Last edited by a moderator:
:sweating: thats a bit scary will keep closer eye on my lot from now on ,thanks for info chris :thumbsup:

My girls eat snails if im not quick enough to stop them, dont know

about Alba yet. Im not in that area but im still going to try even

harder to stop this habit now :thumbsup:

We have it here in surrey but I think it is a different one to the one in USA tho still a danger.

My vet advised me to use a spot on called Advocate which you use once a month and it also does fleas and worms. If you keep it up to date it should prevent them from getting infected :thumbsup:

I read about this in a dog magazine. Apparently heartworm is quite common where we live :eek: :( . Slugs carry it to and apparently dogs can get the virus just by eating grass that is covered in that sticky snail trail :sweating:

Don't know if anyone's seen my comments about worming but for those that don't know, Panacur is the only wormer currently on the market that is effective against nematode larvae. There have been a few whippets on K9 last year that succumbed to lung worm and it's not an easy one for the vets to spot going on the owners accounts. I've switched worming tablets as a result.

wild whippies said:
Don't know if anyone's seen my comments about worming but for those that don't know, Panacur is the only wormer currently on the market that is effective against nematode larvae. There have been a few whippets on K9 last year that succumbed to lung worm and it's not an easy one for the vets to spot going on the owners accounts. I've switched worming tablets as a result.
my vet gives me milbamax, so can i ask for panacur, will they have it in or do certain vets use what they think best, i like to keep her wormed regularly

thank you for the info

There is a low incidence of heartworm in the fox population around Melbourne and given that we come across fox poo on most walks and have mosquitos almost year round we give all ours the monthly preventative spot on :( - does heartworm , worms (except tape) and fleas. Works out to be quite expensive :(

Many years ago when it was less well known my sister's whippet cross was diagnosed and treated and fortunately survived the treatment.

My whippet is going in for tests on friday incase he has heart worm, he has been treated with panacur granules in case it is this, but after reading this thread I wanted to be sure.

I only found out today that was what the vet was thinking of

Sorry I'm a bit garbled I'm having a small panic attack :(

I've seen pictures of heartworms before, not nice.

I have been giving my dog a herbal worming biscuit daily called Verm-X. The trouble is how do i know how well it is working. I don't like giving her strong chemical worming tabs.

My dog is the same, will eat anything off the ground.

She has been taking this product for about 3 months now, so i suppose if i check her pooh, and find worms, then i'll have to rethink.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back