The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weight

Susan

Robbie
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What weight are Italian Greyhounds?

What is the lightist weight and the heaviest they can be?

I know bugger all about the breed :wub:

Thank's Susan A non ped whippy owner :cheers:

Look's like everyone on here know's bugger all about Italian Grey's then :D

Going to find out myself from the web :p . Then I will know more than the rest of you's :wacko:

Just looked them up and here is what Ive found out about them :p

Height 12-15 inche's high ( very tiny )

Weight ,now there is 2 varietie's up to 8 pounds and up to 12 pounds :eek:

I never knew there was 2 varietie's till now :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many IGs are underweight. A dog of 15ins cannot be 12 lbs without looking like a walking hat rack. Thankfully the weights and heights are only a guide, if everyone was to stick to the suggested weights there would be an awful lot of depressed IGs out there. Just one pound in weight makes a huge difference to an IG. My lot who are all at the top end of the height scale weigh in at about 13 to 14 lbs and are well covered with just the pin bones showing.

I judge my dogs weight by eye not the scales.

The 3 inches difference in height can make a huge differenece too and many dogs are classed as over height when in fact they would go under the measure no problem, again the eye can deceive as it can depend on build. My blue puppy is taller than the fawn but because she is so fine it is not immediately obvious. I think that if a breed is not going to be weighed in the ring then there is no place for it in the breed standard ( thats my soapbox coming out!!!) Jan

I agree Jan but, like any breed standard, height and weight are only guidelines although people seem to consider them to be gospel!! And most people can't estimate what the height of anything is to save their lives!!

I stood in the ring at Crufts next to a dog who I admire very much and will use at stud but everyone else is very scathing about how huge he is. I purposely stood next to him with my own dog because I KNOW how tall he is and, guess what ............... they were exactly the same height!!!

:D As Moderator of this here forum, I suppose I'd better put my bit in. Agree with what Jan and Dessie said. My own Charlie is tall and people have been scathing about him, but he moves like a trooper. He is of the sturdier build and can run like the wind, catch rabbits and is a brilliant novice lure courser. Don't suppose it was Charlie you were stood next to. We got third, or rather Charlie and Andy Leonard, got third in Junior cos I wasn't very well that day and wouldn't have made it round the ring I think. I was suprised and pleased because he certainly wasn't the judges type, he preferred them more bum high. But don't tell everyone will you that there were only 4 in the class. :- "

No, sorry, Jan I was completely off topic and talking about Whippets actually!!! But it is the same difference, whatever the breed, height and weight can be deceiving for all sorts of reasons and the point I was trying to make is that people (judges) are notoriously bad at gauging the correct height. I'll get off my soapbox now and leave this topic as I don't even have an IG!!! LOL

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back