The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weimaraner - eye problem!

Weim30

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

First post and looking for advice. My seven year Weimaraner has for the last two weeks an acute onset raised 3rd eyelid which is really visible.

Have been to the vets and tried steroid jab, piriton, and abx and no improvement over 4/5 days - so we are ruling out allergy and infection so far.

I am thinking it may be horners syndrome as he has a small pupil, droopy eyelid and raised 3rd eyelid. He’s not in pain and it doesn’t bother him.

I am just wondering what my next steps might be??

Does anyone have experience with horners syndrome ?

I have attached a photo if anyone has any further thoughts...

Thanks!
F97072A0-66F5-4277-A8D8-AB8C412E4822.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep nagging the vets about your dogs eye. Yes i have had experience with the syndrome, I have always given the dogs phenylephrine drops. But you will need to be prescribed by a vet. The vets will need to run tests.

I am not a vet, but what caught my own eye was how SUNKEN the affected eye appears - the entire globe has moved back in the skull. :( Is the dog in pain?

All i found on Horner's syndrome was this -
Horner's Syndrome in Dogs

apparently, **if** it is not due to another underlying condition, most cases of Horner's slowly resolve, generally over a period of weeks, but sometimes if it's particularly severe, recovery takes months. They do note that phenylephrine drops every 12 to 24-hrs can provide symptomatic relief.

I very-much hope Ur dog recovers soon. That looks mizrable. :( Please let us know how he gets on?
- terry

From what i have read, symptoms like this can stem from ear problems. Has the vet checked his ears thoroughly?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back