The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Went A-coursing Over The Weekend

wildhare

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
last week sometime we decided that we would take a little jaunt down Texas way

for the TVRRCOT coursing on the school yard in Keller Texas - we were concerned

that it might be very hot down there since the weather here has been in the 90's

all week but the weather forcast said "cooler" and it was - we thought since it was

only 4 hours or so down there to drive down on Saturday morning and just have to

have one night at the motel - we picked up intermittent rain about the Tx border

some light and some heavy - arrived there shortly after 8 am so made good time

even with stopping for a doggy potty break someplace in Tx between the rain showers -

got everything set up - the e-z up put up - leads, coursing blankets found and ready,

slip leads laid out all nice and neat - ready to go - got thunder ready for his run

for Badgers Q - walked the field - everything ready to go - I had been asked if

I would operate the lure for the borzoi dogs and that was ok with me - after we

got there was asked to do the JC's also - and I was fine with that also - Then it

commenced to rain - not a gully washer but enough steady rain to get you soaking

in short order - we did throw in the rain gear so it was still good to go -

had a big bunch of JC's and Q runs and since I was already standing up high

on the ladder ran them also - Grass was wet and heavy - the lure was wet and heavy

and we had continual equipment problems through-out - what should have taken

a coupla hours actually took well after lunch to get done - when the rain finally

quit about 1:30 things starting looking better during the trial equipment wise -

Ran the lure for JC's and Q's again on sunday without a hitch and it only took

2 hours to finish those and the equipment performed flawlessly -

on Saturday Thunder ran to Q another dog - twice as the only special - ran for breed

(which he won) and then again for BIF so total of 5 runs and got a coupla LCX points for the day -

on this day Delta ran well but couldnt beat her son, Thunder -

What a difference a day makes - Sunday dawned, the fog lifted, and the sun came out and we

had a cool north wind drying things out - perfect running weather - dogs are all fiesty and rearing

to go - we need one more whippet to make 4 pt major so we entered our Flame to make the points -

so we are running 3 - 1 special (Thunder)- 1 open (Flame) - 1 Veteran (Delta) - all in the same

yellow blanket <G> - Thunder lost to the special, Flame was near the bottom of open, and since

Delta was the only Veteran running she got to the breed runoff - Her breed run was by far her best

run of the day and her score was the best score of the day by 3 points over all other breeds running

for the trial - asked by the trail sec if we wanted to run for BIF and I replied "damned streight we will" - Delta's BIF run was just 10 minutes after her breed run but she has finally lost her "puppy

fat" she got with her last litter and in good shape and it was cool in the low 70's so off we go -

she ran probably the best run of the day again and (drum roll) and was BEST IN FIELD on this good

day in September from the Veterans class - The Judges for the day were Karen Arends and

Sherita Tabner and I was told that both agreed that she by far was the best dog running -

I cannot thank them both enough !!!! -

so she is now -

BIF CH Wheatland Delta Dawn SC - that was her second 4 pt Major and gives her 9 points

toward her FC and DC - she is one tired and a little sore momma this morning -

she got a double cheesburger from Mickie D's on the way home <G> and we have that

cool red, white & blue rosette to hang on her trophy wall - we are tickled pink -

dwight

last week sometime we decided that we would take a little jaunt down Texas wayfor the TVRRCOT coursing on the school yard in Keller Texas - we were concerned

that it might be very hot down there since the weather here has been in the 90's

all week but the weather forcast said "cooler" and it was - we thought since it was

only 4 hours or so down there to drive down on Saturday morning and just have to

have one night at the motel - we picked up intermittent rain about the Tx border

some light and some heavy - arrived there shortly after 8 am so made good time

even with stopping for a doggy potty break someplace in Tx between the rain showers -

got everything set up - the e-z up put up - leads, coursing blankets found and ready,

slip leads laid out all nice and neat - ready to go - got thunder ready for his run

for Badgers Q - walked the field - everything ready to go - I had been asked if

I would operate the lure for the borzoi dogs and that was ok with me - after we

got there was asked to do the JC's also - and I was fine with that also - Then it

commenced to rain - not a gully washer but enough steady rain to get you soaking

in short order - we did throw in the rain gear so it was still good to go -

had a big bunch of JC's and Q runs and since I was already standing up high

on the ladder ran them also - Grass was wet and heavy - the lure was wet and heavy

and we had continual equipment problems through-out - what should have taken

a coupla hours actually took well after lunch to get done - when the rain finally

quit about 1:30 things starting looking better during the trial equipment wise -

Ran the lure for JC's and Q's again on sunday without a hitch and it only took

2 hours to finish those and the equipment performed flawlessly -

on Saturday Thunder ran to Q another dog - twice as the only special - ran for breed

(which he won) and then again for BIF so total of 5 runs and got a coupla LCX points for the day -

on this day Delta ran well but couldnt beat her son, Thunder -

What a difference a day makes - Sunday dawned, the fog lifted, and the sun came out and we

had a cool north wind drying things out - perfect running weather - dogs are all fiesty and rearing

to go - we need one more whippet to make 4 pt major so we entered our Flame to make the points -

so we are running 3 - 1 special (Thunder)- 1 open (Flame) - 1 Veteran (Delta) - all in the same

yellow blanket <G> - Thunder lost to the special, Flame was near the bottom of open, and since

Delta was the only Veteran running she got to the breed runoff - Her breed run was by far her best

run of the day and her score was the best score of the day by 3 points over all other breeds running

for the trial - asked by the trail sec if we wanted to run for BIF and I replied "damned streight we will" - Delta's BIF run was just 10 minutes after her breed run but she has finally lost her "puppy

fat" she got with her last litter and in good shape and it was cool in the low 70's so off we go -

she ran probably the best run of the day again and (drum roll) and was BEST IN FIELD on this good

day in September from the Veterans class - The Judges for the day were Karen Arends and

Sherita Tabner and I was told that both agreed that she by far was the best dog running -

I cannot thank them both enough !!!! -

so she is now -

BIF CH Wheatland Delta Dawn SC - that was her second 4 pt Major and gives her 9 points

toward her FC and DC - she is one tired and a little sore momma this morning -

she got a double cheesburger from Mickie D's on the way home <G> and we have that

cool red, white & blue rosette to hang on her trophy wall - we are tickled pink -

dwight
Sounds great time well done all

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back