The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Westipoo Puppies

You will struggle to find a good breeder of crosses I'm afraid.

Both breeds carry congenital health conditions that good breeders try to eliminate through responsible breeding like carrying out health tests and careful selection of parents. Good breeders do tests on their breeding dogs (proper tests, not just checks to say the dog is capable of siring/carrying a litter) to breed out these conditions. Unfortunately with the popularity of these crosses there are many puppy farmers who are more interested in exploiting buyers than the long term health of the puppies they are selling; and pet owners who think it would be lovely to have mini versions of their own pets but lack the understanding of responsible breeding.

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents. Both sides could have hip dysplasia and the parents should be hip scored, and also eye problems - these could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a either a westie or a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk.

Ok
Thanks for that we lost our Westie of 18 years on Thursday and was looking for something different.
Do you know of any Westie breeders
Who may have some puppies on the way?
Regards
Michaela

No and it is probably even worse right now, because people won't have been able to get bitches and stud dogs together because of lockdown. Most good breeders will have a waiting list though so you should start contacting people and getting yourself on their radar.

Champdogs is a good place to find responsible breeders.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your Westie - but 18 is an awesome age.

Have you considered a rescue? I'm not sure if any are operating right now as home checks might be out of the question, but they are likely to have a large range of crossbreeds, even if you never know what the mix actually is.

Is there a Westie Rescue? Most breeds have breed-specific rescues, and they often take in crossbreeds of their particular breed interest as well.

When looking for a breeder, I would always recommend contacting the breed club first. Some also have regional clubs as well – I know the WHWT club do. They will be able to put you in touch with reputable breeders, as well as having links with the breed rescue too.

We
Really want a puppy had a bad experience of a rescue dog in the past.
We are both retired now so looking forward to all the training and the fun of a puppy
Thanks

If you are looking for a first cross it might be better to search for a Cairn or Cairn x. Because Westies- though lovely dogs- were bred from a very restricted gene pool from Cairns just for the white coat. Therefore the science suggests Cairns should prove the healthier option having a greater variety in their DNA. You did so well to have a long time with your Westie though. Sorry that you lost a friend- we all do in the end.:( Only posting because I've met a super little champagne coloured Cairn just lately.

If you are looking for a first cross it might be better to search for a Cairn or Cairn x. Because Westies- though lovely dogs- were bred from a very restricted gene pool from Cairns just for the white coat. Therefore the science suggests Cairns should prove the healthier option having a greater variety in their DNA. You did so well to have a long time with your Westie though. Sorry that you lost a friend- we all do in the end.:( Only posting because I've met a super little champagne coloured Cairn just lately.

Sadly you don't see Cairn Terriers like you used to do,they're great little dogs. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

upload_2020-6-4_12-23-13.jpeg

Was surprised to find there's such a thing as a Cairnoodle! And here is one- whatever breed you favour it's a cheer-up for grim times.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back