The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wet or raw differences

misterp

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, apart from the obvious what is the difference between these two? I am thinking of changing from Raw to a high quality wet food but am curious why the calcium and phosphorous levels are so much lower in wet food.

The moisture and meat contents are very similar but the C/P are anywhere from around a third to half lower. I would of thought the ingredients would be almost identical and the only difference is one is cooked and one is not, or is it possible cooking the food lowers the C/P.

I will ask some companies who produce the wet food but wanted an unbiased opinion as well please.

Thanks

You are already feeding the best quality food. Raw is easy for the digestive system to obtain good quality natural ingredients. (the best !)

Do you really have to make the change ! Maybe you could continue to feed chicken wings / carcases if you change.

Do check what type of "wet" food you would be using, many are grain based and cooked. (both are un natural for our dogs digestive systems)

Your best and easiest to digest nutrients will be obtained from your raw uncooked food.

Cooking /processing will damage and destroy a lot of the nutrients.

If you were to register with the "Honeys" website you can order for FREE one of their Natural Feeding Handbooks for dogs. There is no catch and no commitment and no unwanted emails to purchase any of their products, the book is totally FREE!

This little book is easy to read and understand, very useful.

Unfortunately the companies that produce their special wet foods will obviously tell you that what they are selling and manufacturing is perfectly natural and healthy and the best!

Sorry I'm not sure if I have replied to your question as you may have wished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it to do with the water content? Wet food is, often, 80% water. Not sure about raw. In order to compare two different foods you have to take them both back to the same level of water content.

There is a formula for comparing wet and dry when they are both taken back to the same moisture content. Not sure that raw would be as high as 80% moisture. Wet food can almost be poured out of the tin or pouch.

Burns have done a fact sheet to help us understand the different protein levels in wet and dry dog food. I might help you to understand the influence moisture content has on the ingredients.

It won't let me post a link but if you search how to compare wet and dry foods you should find the Burns fact sheet with the calculation formula on it. They also have a very helpful support line. I am not recommending their food here just that they have a good way of explaining things.

I have just "Googled" the water content in raw meat;

75% water, 20% Protein, 5% Remainder, combination of fat, carbohydrate, minerals.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I think that maybe I haven't worded exactly what I wanted to know properly.

Is wet food just the same as a complete raw meal but cooked? Or is something else done to the meat when cooked and put in a can, moisture, protein and fat are quite similar but the C/P are a lot lower in the cooked version?

Hope that makes more sense,

Thanks

Probably not the same. Excuseme is our food guru and knows more than me but I think wet food is processed from the pieces of meat left over after what is taken for human consumption them made into something like a paste or formed into chunks to resemble meat. It could contain multiple sources (like beef, lamb, poultry). If you buy raw from a butcher you will know better what you are getting. Is it possible that the C/P is destroyed during processing?

There aren't many wet foods that are sold as complete. They are designed to be mixed with a biscuit. Could this be the source of calcium and phosphorous?

I know Chappie in a tin is sold as a complete food. I think Natures Menu sell their wet food as complete? Might be worth comparing those that are sold as complete with those that are meant to be mixed to see if the levels are higher in the complete?

Sorry more questions than answers but I am sure you get the drift.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back