The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What breed - ideas welcomed please

Josi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. What breeds would you suggest as a starting point if this is my Wishlist - (pssst... I know I won't end up with this as I'll probably end up with a rescue mixed breed but would like to 'try' and find a dog most suited to me) ...
Sociable and friendly with people, cats and other dogs
Intelligent - a dog that you can have a chat with, not just a cuddle
Likes the water - I live near a beach so it'd be a shame not to have a dog that likes to at least paddle if not splash and swim.
Able to be let off lead and run around with other off lead dogs (my local park is like this)
Grooming - no preference - I'll do whatever the dog needs. Allergies - not an issue.
Dog would not need to be left alone - I work from home, so would be with me all the time if they want to, but can equally roam the rest of they house if they choose to.
Not a strong prey drive - I have cats.
Small - medium size (I'm getting older (57) and don't want to be pulled too much on a lead.
Basic behaviour training will be sufficient i.e. not to jump up on people, to sit at a roadside, good recall.
I don't mind if it's a puppy or not - I've had 4 puppies and always love the experience.
I've had dogs all my life. thanks.

Dogs have been bred over thousands of years to do different jobs; like you said yourself some of them are hard wired to hunt prey.

But equally a lot have been bred to be companion dogs, so it sounds like one of those might suit. A Papillon, Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Tibetan Spaniel, Poodle, all spring to mind.

Hi. What breeds would you suggest as a starting point if this is my Wishlist - (pssst... I know I won't end up with this as I'll probably end up with a rescue mixed breed but would like to 'try' and find a dog most suited to me) ...
Sociable and friendly with people, cats and other dogs
Intelligent - a dog that you can have a chat with, not just a cuddle
Likes the water - I live near a beach so it'd be a shame not to have a dog that likes to at least paddle if not splash and swim.
Able to be let off lead and run around with other off lead dogs (my local park is like this)
Grooming - no preference - I'll do whatever the dog needs. Allergies - not an issue.
Dog would not need to be left alone - I work from home, so would be with me all the time if they want to, but can equally roam the rest of they house if they choose to.
Not a strong prey drive - I have cats.
Small - medium size (I'm getting older (57) and don't want to be pulled too much on a lead.
Basic behaviour training will be sufficient i.e. not to jump up on people, to sit at a roadside, good recall.
I don't mind if it's a puppy or not - I've had 4 puppies and always love the experience.
I've had dogs all my life. thanks.
Defo consider English Cocker Spaniel. I have 2 and they were acquired for all the same reasons you give here. We used to foster kids too so it was important to get gentle, sociable dogs. Re the water, they have semi webbed feet so they love the water but I think getting them used to it as a pup is important which you probs know already. Good Luck 🤞

I realise it isn't every dog, but there seems to have been an upsurge in posts about resource guarding in spaniels over the last few years - I suspect poor breeding during COVID hasn't helped. Spaniels can be nice little dogs but do check the parents' temperaments if hats the breed you decide on.

I realise it isn't every dog, but there seems to have been an upsurge in posts about resource guarding in spaniels over the last few years - I suspect poor breeding during COVID hasn't helped. Spaniels can be nice little dogs but do check the parents' temperaments if hats the breed you decide on.
What does resource guarding mean pls? I got both of my dogs from a reputable breeder after contacting the KC for recommendations. Hopefully this is common practice 😊

It means when a dog has something, and aggressively protects it against being taken away - commonly food, but it could be even a particular part of the floor, and woe betide anyone who comes close to it. That's probably extreme but not unknown. It's great that your dogs don't seem to have it, but it does seem to be more common in some breeds (notably spaniels and their crosses) than others.

KC registration is like a family tree, so it's a history of lineage with no guarantee against health or temperament problems. I don't know how carefully the KC vets its assured breeders. So it's important for buyers to do research into the health tests that have been done and the temperament of parents and grandparents - whatever the breed - before buying.

Rescues vary greatly in how well they match prospective owners and dogs. As a generalisation, I have always found Dogs Trust to be pretty good, but isn't to say other Rescues aren't good. A lot of it depends on the person you see on the day. Any organisations that rely heavily on volunteers can vary wildly on how to match people and dogs, so choose a place that gives you backup after you take your dog home.

I have always have rescues and they have all fitted in well immediately and I don’t think this was a consideration 30+ years ago. As an older adult I chose to take new baby from my son’s litter and although she was part of the family, has been much harder work all round (perhaps me being older 😀) but I think dogs want be loved and want to love and please the people they are with

Reactions: RGC

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back