The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What breed is my dog?

Curly Cracker

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

We are looking at adopting this wonderful dog from our local rescue, but no one seems to know what breed it is.....

Can anyone help? Have attached a photo!

Ta

IMG-20170123-WA0007.jpg

Looks like a "Heinz 57". It could be anything you wanted it to be! But I am sure that won't matter!

Some of the dogs from Romania look very similar. In fact, facially, it looks very like my Romanian rescue. Mostly they are mixed breed. This makes them, usually, very healthy :)

Pact dog 2.jpg

Gypsysmum how lovely to see your dog! I used to have a German Shepherd / Collie cross who had very similar markings. Sorry to hijack the thread OP

I would think he might well have some German Shepherd in him, Joanne. He is quite vocal and very bright. Also very sensitive. All characteristics of the GSD. It is anyone's guess what else is in him but my guess would be some sort of hound. He lives to hunt. When he is not hunting he switches off quite well, which is a hound trait :) He was imported with his mother and she bears a resemblance to the op's dog. The rescue centre thought she might have some Belgian Shepherd in her.

I find crossbreeds fascinating to fathom out.

There are companies that will do a DNA check on dogs to give you their breeding but they do not offer the service to Romanian rescues.

Indeed, DNA check would be the best. But all dogs coming form East European shelters are very, very mixed breeds anyway. Which does not make them less adorable of course :wub: They deserve to be loved so much! I admire your decision to adopt such a lovely creature :)

Choosing a dog breed can be sometimes daunting. I am more concerned with their inherent behavior. This something that I read this introductory book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5VMIES on dog training.

Finally, because I love how poodles look, I have decided to buy one. Although the book says poodle are difficult to control. I am up for the challenge. Anyone with a poodle? What are your experience with them?

Poodles are clowns. As long as you accept that you will get along fine with one. They can do amazing obedience work and I have seen one working in the field as a spaniel. This is where the breed originated from.

If you like to read about dog behaviour you might enjoy "Clever Dog" by Sarah Whitehead.

www.amazon.co.uk/cleverdog

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back