The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What breed?

Sam&Karen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys,

Im Sam from Glasgow, new to the forum and just looking for some help. The girlfriend and i have gotten ourselves a puppy that was left heartlessly abandoned in a boxwith her brothers and sisters :( the vet thinks shes about 8 weeks old, not entirely sure of breed although they think shes a husky cross ( said it may be easier to tell exactly what with as she gets older) a few friends with dogs have suggested a husky/akita cross?

just joined up for some info on what to be feeding her and some tips on getting her trained since one of my 'pet hates' is folk with uncontrollable animals!

heres a few pics of her.

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

First of all or your puppy is gorgeous! Not sure on the breed, but my guess would be she has some husky in her.

My first piece of advice is to get her booked in to a good puppy class. So many people to do this and that with your puppy, but if you go to good training class then they will show the right way, and you get to chat with other puppy owners and share advice and stories on the naughty things your little rascal will no doubt get in to!

Buying her a crate is also something i strongly reccommend. Its fantastic for toilet training and getting them used to being on their own without the concern of them destroying your home. If you pop a blanket over the top then it is like a little den for them, and its a place where they will feel safe.

It is a good way to stop the dog from sleeping with you in bed. If she does have husky in her or akita she will get very big very fast and you will soon have sleeping issues if she is currently sleeping with you. Having a crate means she is still in the bedroom with you, but secure meaning you get some sleep too!

Buy a crate that will be big enough for your puppy once she is fully grown, this way you wont have to buy another if you take care of it.

Pro Plan is a good food buy expensive, or CSJ or Sneyd, which is what i feed my dog and he does very well on it. However, every dog, like people is different and not all foods you get reccommended will suit her. It is purely down to trial an error.

I reccommend 'The Perfect Puppy' book by Gwen Bailey. It is very insightful and is great to refer back to you when your trainer is not available.

I pretty much followed it to the letter when i had my dog Bear and he is one now and doing very well, and turning out to be a true joy!

A heads up will be when they get to around 6 months old and older. She will test you to the max and you will wonder what the hell went wrong with your dog. This is normal.

I have been in tears many a time with Bear wondering where i went wrong, or what i was doing that was turning him into the devil. It is a test of leadership that you must win and you have to stick to your guns.

Anyway, get the book, the crate and good training class and the rest should come easily!

I wish you all the luck in the word with your beautiful girl.

Sophie & Bear x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back