The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What did we do before crates

Tinytom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I just wondered have people forgotten how we coped before crates ...they can be a fantastic tool but I also think they can be misused and make people lazy thinking it can train /house train their pups ...it makes me so sad but I have begun to hate crates ....😳☹☹

I agree... I get it is useful to have a dog familiar with a crate, so it's not a new scary thing if ever needed, but it seems they are sadly misused..a lot... I am not a fan at all.

I think it's another one of those semi-facts that has been (conveniently) accepted as gospel. All the stuff about being like a den - I have read that a den would only be used by wild canids at whelping, but not as a matter of routine.

That said, I'm with you on it being an important lesson to learn, and a really useful tool when used correctly. When T ruptured his cruciate ligament and needed the crate for recovery, it was useful. But he probably wouldn't have had the surgery 50 years ago - he'd either have had to live with the injury or be PTS.

And maybe back in the day there would have been fewer things like electrical cables lying around, and at risk of a puppy chewing. When I grew up, I don't think we even had a TV when I was really young, so appliances would actually be in use when they were plugged in (vacuum cleaner etc?). Other 'mischief' would basically either have been survived, or not. So they have their place for keeping pups, and stuff, safe.

Back in the day, unruly dogs may also have been shut in the kitchen/porch/garden for long periods, or even left to wander.

Back in the day (the good old days) our dogs were not a "convenient" pet that would be shut away in a "convenient"cage when not required, my parents and my dogs all grew up as happy family members and cages were not even thought of or even invented then. I don't remember how we did it!
If they were put in the kitchen or conservatory, left outside in the garden they still had the option to move around find something to chew or dig a few holes, that can't be as bad as being caged like a rabbit, but just part of puppy life and I am sure much more fun.
Way back then our lives were not so hectic and mum's were housewives and mothers who were mostly at home and the husband was the bread winner, times were very different but that is no excuse for cages being the norm these days.
If a puppy or dog can't be given a better life than spending hours shut in a cage for whatever reason then many people should not have them at all.
I am very surprised that the RSPCA appear to like them.
I do agree that for recovery purposes they can be useful, but that is all :rolleyes:

I think they are also useful for when someone on their own needs to go to the loo, or pop out for a pint of milk and so on. I definitely don't think they should be used for hours on end but they are helpful for short term use.

I think we expect too much too soon with puppies and people dont often research the breed of the pup they buy.. ...wether you can offer that breed what it actually needs..years ago I wanted a briard when I went to see the breeder she asked me a list of questions and said at that time my life wasnt suitable for a briard pup....

This is something I am hearing time and time again these days... sadly I think the ease of buying a pup/dog online plus there being a huge amount of money in breeding has not done dogs many favours. As @Tinytom says so many people seem to buy without researching the breeds needs, they think about how a dog will enhance their life without considering what it is they can offer the specific breed they like the 'look' of...and then we wonder why there is a rise in dogs with behavioural/anxiety issues. What annoys me is that there is a wealth of information online, I don't understand why people don't use it, just saying 'I didn't know this that and the other about a breeds needs' is not good enough...imho...
I think as well we'd be shocked at just how many dogs don't get walked these days for one reason or another...:(

Though sometimes people have researched the breed, and/or have previous experience of the breed, but the pup that arrives turns out to be more of a handful than what is usual for that breed. We should not be too swift to be judgemental if we haven't observed that puppy in their environment. And we shouldn't assume that everyone who uses a crate abuses the crate.

Though sometimes people have researched the breed, and/or have previous experience of the breed, but the pup that arrives turns out to be more of a handful than what is usual for that breed. We should not be too swift to be judgemental if we haven't observed that puppy in their environment. And we shouldn't assume that everyone who uses a crate abuses the crate.
We weren't judging anybody just sharing experiences...you would be suprised what pups end up in rescue because the owner has not thought it through and given the correct food ...exercise

We weren't judging anybody just sharing experiences...you would be suprised what pups end up in rescue because the owner has not thought it through and given the correct food ...exercise
Yes, of course, that is wrong - and far too many people give up the first time the dog chews something they shouldn't, cries in the night, or has zoomies when their favourite TV show is on. Or simply when reality kicks in.

I do feel one thing that can be over looked is that we all know about having physical health tests/checks on breeding parents but how many people consider that the emotional state/environment of the mum has a huge impact on the pups in the womb and when nursing... Or even stop to think maybe I won't breed from my bitch because she has a predisposition to being nervous/anxious...

With such a seemingly massive rise in people breeding dogs in all sorts of conditions I do wonder if this is now impacting pups behaviours and abilities to cope...growing and being raised with stress hormones coursing through your body can't be good can it?
(sensitive stress response, digestive issues, hyperactivity possibly, all come to mind...these are just my thoughts btw!)
I am not of course lumping all breeders together... But for some care of the breeding bitch(and the sire for that matter), as we all know, can be pretty appalling...and their emotional wellbeing is not even thought about, never mind the last thing considered....

This is just something I've been mulling over and kind of goes hand in hand with the ease of buying a pup online where an awful lot(not all of course) of people don't ever get to meet the mum with the pups, I don't feel photos or videos should suffice. This isn't just about the impact on pups from puppy farms, there are also people who decide to have one or two litters to make some money who really, really shouldn't be...:(

I know there are no answers other than banging the drum about being super, super careful when adopting... sorry completely off topic of crates, oops!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back