The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What do I eat

rodzrx7

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys

I am a newbie on here 1st post be kind :flowers: (the wife wont use forums and its a good place to get info from other ppl so I have joined up)

will give you his background before I get onto the question

Well my wife finally got a puppy, he is a wee Cavachon and named Charlie. he arrived back at our home after a 4hr drive on Saturday and he just did not seen happy, we put it down to stress and nerves, any way cut along story short on the Sunday he was just not a happy dog the wife wont having it so we got him of to the local vet. Turned out he was not very well was under weight slightly, dehydrated and to top it off had mites in his ears, so he stayed in over night on a drip for 24hr. The wife was in tears all Sunday night just thinking she had made a mistake going with her heart and not head, I got a call on the Monday and Charlie had perked right up. I picked him up that afternoon and wow just a different dog he was running all over wagging his tail and just in general a PUPPY :thumbsup:

Had a chat with the vet and looking at his Vaccination's it just dint add up right, so he is going back in nx week to start them fresh and a check up, so we are getting this dog back to full health and a happy dog. I wont to bothered about a dog but now even I have fallen for him and its only been a few days.

so the Q

he has been raised on a gluten free diet of dried biscuits, is he ok to stay on that just now or do I change at some point? also a mate said to soak the food in powdered lambs milk prior to him having it? is this good,

Basicly I am after a food plan for the pup because I am unsure and rather I get some bum advice from 'from pets at home' I thought this is the best place??

Also I am not keen on taking him outside until his vacs are sorted, there is a dog next door but I am looking at making a wee fence a few feet out to stop him going over for now. So we have got him doing the toilet on a pad next to the back door and he is doing well now, My plan is then to move the toilet area outside into the back garden. yes/no?

oh and last question is it to cold outside for little pups at this time of year? I am north of Edinburgh?

thanks for all your help look forward to chatting to fellow puppy ppl and maybe one day share my advise.

Charlie with his plaster

IMAG0353.jpg

to cold for outside

IMAG0371.jpg

Sean (me) & Charlie, and I said I wont love him hahah

IMG_8793660145259.jpeg

well first i must say that your little man is too cute!!!!! :>

and it sounds like the breeder shouldnt be breeding if you ask me! your poor puppy came to you with ears mites, under weight and stressed! this is not right!!! :rant:

bravo to you for getting him sorted so quickly. :thumbsup:

now if your little guy is on a gluten free diet for specific reasons your vet has advised you of then thats fine.

If its not reason other reason and charlie is able to eat other food then do change it. saying that even if he is gluten free there are other dogs foods out there that are very good! CSJ is what i fed little guy on. its not very expensive and he thirved on it! i have since moved to sneyd wonderdog original with him being now 9 months old and he is doing brilliantly on it.

now changing his food. this has to be done gradually. for example: 100g meal- 20g new food 80g old food for a week. 2nd week 30g new food, 70g old food and so on.

this way it wont upset his tummy and he will be fine with the change over.

food plan i used with my puppy was 3 meals per day. small and often this way the puppy doesnt become too hungry too quickly or suffer with bloat.

the bags the food comes in will advise you of how many grams per day charlie should be eating. this will be based on his size and weight.

split that amount into 3 portions and and feed him 3 times per day, morning lunch time and evening meal until he is about 16 weeks. after that point drop it down to 2 meals per day.

as you watch his weight go up, following the instructions on the bag and gradually put his food up as he continues to grow.

soaking the food in water not milk is a good thing for puppies whilst they have their baby teeth. you dont have to but you can if you want.

i gave my little guy a small (and i mean small) glass of goats milk in the evening. its good for them as its rich in protein which pups needs and will helps his bones :) you can warm it up in the microwave or a saucepan too. mine seemed to love that :)

in regards to using puppy pads i didnt use them at all. Bear was carried outside every time he went to the toilet and i stayed with him and gave him plenty of fuss when he went for wee or poo. using a toilet command is good for them too as they will learn that going outside means going to the toilet. mine picked it up within days. still a few accidents here and there but he was toiler trained within a couple of months of me having him.

with the situation with the garden try and get it fenced off asap. the sooner your pup starts going to the toilet outside the better.

garden is fine whilst your waiting for his jabs and being able to start taking him on walks. no mixing with other dogs and dont put him down in places where you know other dogs have been.

take him out for a walk but carry him. this is good as they will get used to being outside along with the noises of cars, bikes etc. he will still feel safe as he will be safely tucked up in your arms :)

i could continue all night with the things that worked with our little guy (and that didnt lol)!

good luck with your cutie Charlie!

Sophie x

Thanks for the reply, lots of good info,

yer he is cute the girls love him haha.

I am so glad we got him when we did, not the best start, but I like to think we saved him and he is happy now its so good just watching him getting stronger and stronger defiantly not a shy quiet puppy now, I have been on the phone to the breeder sevral times about this problems but to be honest I cant be bothered with him now, we have paid the vet bill and Charlie is getting better that's all we can ask for.

Well I have just finished the rope fence so we are going out to play this afternoon, our back garden is very exposed so see how he gets on with the cold.

I might just keep him on his normal food until his vacs are sorted out and he is good to go, then we can look at some thing different, happy with the % in changing his food when the time comes thanks for that. where would you get goats milk?

the puppy pads have been good he now go's toilet on them every time and no miss. we just wanted to get him back to full health before we went outside, I am now off for 4 days so time to start outside training I think. I have put a few extra slabs around the back just of the main path and my plan is to get him to do his thing there, that why is can be cleaned up easy, Can I ask what you do with the poo bags?

thanks again for all the help

sean & Charlie

Hi Sean & Charlie,

its the full fat goats milk you want and you can get it from anywhere. Morrisons, Asda etc. its usually above the normal milk we drink :)

its lasts a while and you can freeze it too which is good.

having a few days off with charlie will help a lot i'm sure. we had 4 weeks off when me and my partner James had Bear. he had the first 2 weeks and me the second. we wanted to make sure he got to know us and could trust us, plus it gave us chance to build up leaving him alone when we go to work or pop out for a bit.

you sound like you have it sorted with the toilet training. if its working just keep doing what you're doing and he will be fine.

with poo bags you can put them in your normal rubbish bin, just make sure they are double knotted. you can always go to pets at home or a local pet store and buy a proper doggy poop bin if you're not keen with putting them with your normal rubbish.

have a fab time off with your little guy! you sound like he have given him a very special home :)

any other questions and i know the answer i'll be happy to help :)

buy for now

Sophie & Bear

that's great thanks Sophie, of to a bad start is blowing a gale out side and he just wont go, soon as put him down he jumps back in the house umm, as for the poo bags dint know if my bin would end up honking coz only empty very 2weeks, might look at a separate bin then and I can always do a tip run at weekends for it along with other bottles etc etc.

will be out side a fair bit to day want to fill in the gap under the gate and part of the fence so will get him out then

thanks again

You're most welcome :)

If he goes outside go with him.

Scoop him up, pop him down in the gardenwhere you want him to go to the toilet and stay there until he does. This may take a while so be patient.

Once goes gives lots of fuss and tasty treat so he knows he's been a good boy by going toilet outside.

If he is a little worried then you being near will make him feel safer :)

Keep me posted! After seeing Charlie's pictures I've fell a little bit in love with him :)

Bye for now Sophie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back