The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Do You Call A Club Dog

personally i think every 1 has got there own idea what a club dog is every 1 has there own opnion on a standard of dog

good topic paul :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could depend on what standard of 'club dogs' you run against at your club?

My take on it is a dog which is competative at club level but isn't going to go winning opens.

:teehee: so that means most open dogs are club dogs :teehee:

not really george you always have a few dogs who run at just the club and dont travel about sometimes they arent good enough to compete at open level so they run just at the club. theres always people who are wanting to trial pups at the club they use the so called club dogs.

piglet said:
not really george you always have a few dogs who run at just the club and dont travel about sometimes they arent good enough to compete at open level so they run just at the club. theres always people who are wanting to trial pups at the club they use the so called club dogs.
as u say andrew A FEW DOGS some tracks now are struggleing to get 1 handicap race loads of run ups,so u saying every dog on the open circuit is open class.This is why we are looseing a lot of tracks now because people would rather go open raceing but if they do not support there local clubs and the tracks fold were they going to run there opens?????

Well said the cap :D

A club dog is such because the owner probably enjoys racing at the club more than open racing, but that doesn't mean to say the dog isn't a fast racer "oh no "because I have seen many whippets race at club level when they could be open class winners ! as has already been said the clubs need whippeteers to attend them so that they can keep open, which we do for training our whippets especially pups when we have one :)) without the clubs where would we train our whippets :huggles:

so good question "What do you call a club Dog"

Last edited by a moderator:
george the majority of racers don't know what a club dog is now because everybody want an open class dog,if they are no good for open racing they are found pet homes :- " IMO ;)

i think all racing whippets are club dogs, :b most if not all open racers, start at club's with puppy training and then go on to club race before going to opens, and most still race at club's between open's, :thumbsup:

i think most people find it so hard to keep open class racer's along side club dogs i.e dogs that are just not fast enough to open race, :eek: because of the fact that most club's are run on sunday's and if you have a open class dog then you would be going to open's on sunday's, meaning your club dog would not get raced and most likely after togo along with your other dog to watch him /her race, :( not very fair on the club dog,

the only way to get people to keep club dogs and open class dogs, is if the opens put on say a B grade open, this could be A.B.C racing, and if a dog win's the A grade it must then go into the main open, this racing could take place why the weigh in for the main open is being done, what do you think could this work or do most people only want to keep the fast open class whippets, ???? :oops:

personally i think we have to minimize the opens to build the clubs up there for lesser opens more dogs would turn up when there is an open.

:thumbsup:

hellbound said:
i think all racing  whippets are club dogs, :b   most if not all open racers, start at club's with puppy training and then go on to club race before going to opens, and most still race at club's between open's,  :thumbsup:
i think most people find it so hard to keep open class racer's along side club dogs i.e  dogs that are just not fast enough to open race, :eek:   because of the fact that most club's are run on sunday's and if you have a open class dog then you would be going to open's on sunday's, meaning your club dog would not get raced and most likely after togo along with your other dog to watch him /her race,  :( not very fair on the club dog,

the only way to get people to keep club dogs and open class dogs, is if the opens put on say a B grade open, this could be A.B.C racing, and if a dog win's the A grade it must then go into the main open,  this racing could take place why the weigh in for the main open is being done, what do you think could this work or do most people only want to keep the fast open class whippets, ???? :oops:

Don't know how it would work but it would be nice for club dogs to be catered for along with open class dogs, that way you aren't pressured into rehoming your club dogs to a pet home.

we all cannot have winners :( just love to watch my dog run to his best ablity and have a good race, takes all to make an open :thumbsup: in my eyes my dogs are winners as they give so much on and off the track :D some good club dogs that dont travel but can run abit :thumbsup:

the only way to get people to keep club dogs and open class dogs, is if the opens put on say a B grade open, this could be A.B.C racing, and if a dog win's the A grade it must then go into the main open, this racing could take place why the weigh in for the main open is being done, what do you think could this work or do most people only want to keep the fast open class whippets, ????

if there is 1 heat of scratch races we cannot even get that up before the weigh in so wot chance have u got of this working :oops:

why dont people race @ both? opern and club level? we do.

no such thing as a club dog nowadays everyone has or thinks open class (w00t)

yes you right.but thats what spoils club racing. club dogs can run just as well as open class,in thier own way and without them were finished.some dogs start of club racing to get them started.then if they any good,try them at open class.we all should try to support club racing or it will die.imo.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back