The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What flea treatment do you use?

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Josie, Dec 6, 2017.

Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Bob Martin?

Advocate? (we use this one)

Frontline?

Advantage?

Do you use natural remedies? Like adding some apple cider vinegar to their water? Essential oils?

arealhuman

arealhuman Active Member Registered

We use stuff prescribed by the vet for fleas, ticks as well as a worming treatment. I don't have the details with me, but they have medical type names! He gets them in tablet form every 6 months and so far, they seem to do the job.

Josie likes this.
    JudyN

JudyN Active Member Registered

I stopped using spot-ons as Jasper reacted as if I was trying to chop his head off, and when I gave him the tablet type he threw up, so for a while I gave up using any. Since then the only time he got fleas was when I stopped defleaing the cat too, and the cat got fleas. I tried diatomaceous earth on the cat, but though it's meant to be harmless, it gave me a sore nose & throat so I didn't like to think of the cat having to breathe it in. So back to using spot-ons (Stronghold) on the cat.

I now use a Seresto collar on Jasper, though, specifically to control ticks as he was picking up so many, though it also controls fleas. It's brilliant! No more removing five ticks a day from his boy bits as he gets increasingly grumpy...:D

Josie likes this.
    JoanneF

JoanneF Active Member Registered

A tip if your pet dislikes spot-ons: pop the pipette into a pocket or similar for 15 minutes to bring the contents up to body temperature. They may not even notice then that you are applying it.

I find the pet shop and supermarket ones less effective than proper vet ones.

Josie likes this.