The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Is Bad Sportsmanship?

kiskutya

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Would you consider it bad sportsmanship for an exhibitor who was placed second in a class to be openly rude about the dog that beat them, and on leaving the ring to loudly tell all in passing how the judge 'knows nothing about Whippets' and then spend the next 3 hours bemoaning the judging. I would. I am amazed to say the story I heard following a show last weekend beggars belief, and the 'upset and moaning' exhibitor is both well known and experienced. Your thoughts please.

I think this happened at the first dog show run by Adam and Eve as well, just keep out of it and don't join in.

Jenny

quintessence said:
I think this happened at the first dog show run by Adam and Eve as well, just keep out of it and don't join in. 
Jenny

Ask Jax. I think she was at that show :- " Showed a dog called Fig Leaf. o:) Or was that what she was wearing?? :cheers:

kiskutya said:
Would you consider it bad sportsmanship for an exhibitor who was placed second in a class to be openly rude about the dog that beat them, and on leaving the ring to loudly tell all in passing how the judge 'knows nothing about Whippets' and then spend the next 3 hours bemoaning the judging. I would. I am amazed to say the story I heard following a show last weekend beggars belief, and the 'upset and moaning' exhibitor is both well known and experienced. Your thoughts please.
This could of been any country, any state etc. etc. etc. Even any judge. :cheers:

I call that great value for money, two shows in one day. I love it, nothing like a tanty outside the ring, it makes me laugh. (w00t) (w00t)

If they win there a good judge, if they get beat then there a shit judge.

I guess that this person is a bad judge at judging judges LOL. :wacko: :oops: (w00t)

Cartman said:
quintessence said:
Jenny

Ask Jax. I think she was at that show :- " Showed a dog called Fig Leaf. o:) Or was that what she was wearing?? :cheers:

Held in The Garden of Eden Showground, I think BOB went to that well-known winner 'Skyeway Forbidden Fruit,'

parnew said:
I call that great value for money, two shows in one day. I love it, nothing like a tanty outside the ring, it makes me laugh. (w00t)   (w00t) If they win there a good judge, if they get beat then there a shit judge.

I guess that this person is a bad judge at judging judges LOL. :wacko:   :oops:   (w00t)

LOL!! Love it!!!

love it , you lot should be on the stage :lol:

SWEEPING IT :lol:

Seriously , you cant win`um all , and as Jenny said `dont jion in , leave um to it o:)

Many years ago my `Simon ` beat a very pretty bitch and the owner ( who id taken to the show ) told the judge what an idiot they were for putting a F****ng great lurcher (w00t) The judge said` well thats YOUR opinion. , today I am the judge `

No THATS a bad loser :- "

and I took him home again o:) y

Winning is not everything. :) But 2nd sucks. :- "

quintessence said:
]

Held in The Garden of Eden Showground, I think BOB went to that well-known winner 'Skyeway Forbidden Fruit,'

Skyeway Forbibben Fruit...............How you dig them apples? (w00t)

I was once standing first and the exhibitor who was in 2nd said to the judge "mine has better shoulders" (w00t) BEFORE the placings had been confirmed! The judge replied "Madam I am judging the whole dog"

She then called in the rest of her placings and awarded me first. My jaw was still on the ground after the critique had been written. I had nearly recovered by the time I got the CC and BOB.

[SIZE=14pt]No names no pack drill[/SIZE] but I bet some of you can guess who that exhibitor was....answers on a postcard please.

Cartman said:
kiskutya said:
This could of been any country, any state etc. etc. etc. Even any judge. :cheers:

Yep it is bad sportmanship, I'm surprised you needed to ask the question - almost the very same thing happened in Qld last weekend - don't know Kiskutya or if that is the show he/she is referring to - but as Cartman said - could be anywhere, any time.

According to the rules of the CCC Queensland, Australia, "Any person causing annoyance by loud comments on the decision of the Judges or being guilty of unsportsmanlike action while in the precincts of an exhibition shall be guilty of an offence against these rules and may, after being cautioned by a member of the Show Committee or other official of the show, be ordered to leave the show. If such person fails to comply with such order he shall be guilty of a further offence against these Rules." Rule #224.

So, you can complain about such behaviour, check your rule book.

Funnily enough this topic came up at the weekend and the story of the exhibitor who standing third in the lineup swapped places with the fourth place so they wouldnt appear in the Dog paper (w00t)

Actually I can think of quite a few times when exhibitors wont take their place card or rip it up on the way out of the ring or have to be dragged back in so the judge can write their second place critique.

What about the exhibitors who wait for everyone to stand their dogs and then move their dog forwrad about a foot. Or stand really up close to the back end of your dog with a flappy skirt on or .......................

Oh flip could go on and on :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan Doherty said:
Funnily enough this topic came up at the weekend and the story of the exhibitor who standing third in the lineup  swapped places with the fourth place so they wouldnt appear in the Dog paper (w00t)
Actually I can think of quite a few times when exhibitors wont take their place card or rip it up on the way out of the ring or have to be dragged back in so the judge can write their second place critique.

What about the exhibitors who wait for everyone to stand their dogs and then move their dog forwrad about a foot. Or stand really up close to the back end of your dog with a flappy skirt on or .......................

Oh flip could go on and on :cheers:

The exhibitor who stands their dog a foot in front of the others (and who shall remain nameless :- " ) did this to me when I was showing Alfie at Crufts. Imagine my surprise when we were pulled in first!! :cheers:

I think it's the only time we ever beat her though.... :oops:

Liz and the Monellis

There is also a certain exhibitor who will rush outin front of you and pinch your place if you are not totally on the ball.

what a fantastic thread!!! just wish I could put a name and face to some of exhibitors being 'mentioned' (w00t)

answers on a pm please :- " :lol:

In the short time I have been going to whippet shows I have seen and heard some really quite sad people! :- "

WInning isn't the be all and end all - yeah it's nice but do they really think their dogs are sooo much better than everyone elses and that they deserve to win every week! :eek: :lol:

I think you get caught up in it all really. I made the break when the Foot and Mouth was on and realised that actually I quite liked being at home at weekends instaed treking around the country.

Cant rememeber the last time I went to an Open show and I dont go to all the Champ shows now either although I have probably done a few more this year.

Ive known a top whippet person , ( no longer showing )NOT to be short listed (w00t) but went in any how and even WON the class :eek: :lol:

I Love going to Open shows , I can enjoy a day out with my dogs and mates at the same time :huggles: , theres not usually any pressure , things are more relaxed and normally they are with an hour of home ,

I often pop into see friends too on the way home or even a garden centre :cheers:

I suppose if I worked full time it would be different but I like to be out and about at least one day at the weekend , Unfortunately I dont have any type of show until East of England next month (w00t) , and unless the weather dries up I shall have to do some house work (w00t) :- " :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad once told me that he was showing one of his pointers in a variety class and next to him was a well-known cairn terrier exhibitor who couldn't keep still, all the time he was walking this dog into position, just as the judge came down for the final look my dad's pointer sneezed just as the cairn was being walked into a stance and happened to be under the pointers nose. The cairn shot behind his owner and wouldn't come out, his tail dropped down and he was in my dad's words 'scared stiff of the big snotty dog', needless to say my dad won the class, and BIS. My dad told him afterwards that he only had to tickle the pointer's tail to make him sneeze (not so I hasten to add), but he never stood next to my dad in a ring again. :thumbsup:

Jenny

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back