The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

what is the best type of terrier for hunting

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi ,

im thinking of buying a terrier for hunting mainly rabbits , can anyone tell me what breed is considered the best ?

I'm sure that if you go to www.sportingdogs.co.uk you'll be inundated with opinions on the best terrier for working! :b

Regards,

Scott.

stark said:
hi , im thinking of buying a terrier for hunting mainly rabbits , can anyone tell me what breed is considered the best ?
Oh wow ask a really contentious question why don't you. (w00t) That's worse than asking what type of lurcher is best.

Bet you get some really interesting replies from that link that Scott gave you. :teehee:

stark said:
hi , im thinking of buying a terrier for hunting mainly rabbits , can anyone tell me what breed is considered the best ?
I bought a nine week old Border Terrier this week for flushing jacks out of sage brush.

There are unlimited Jack Russels and a good many Paterdales and German Jagd terriers here to choose from.

The later two are too hard for what I want and sadly the Russels seem to have developed a reputation for hereditory

defects. Deafness seems to be the major problem. They just got too popular for their own good.

My Dachshunds work very well, but they do suffer from back problems. I don't mind if the Border gets too big to go to ground. My digging days are over! I can't wait to see if the Border will work.

well im definetly not into the digging , im thinking on the lines of eather a wire fox terrier or bedlington ...nothing that can get stuck in a hole ! :unsure:

Hi Stark, your best staying well away from Terriers if you don't fancy digging? i've seen some fair sized Bedlingtons get to ground with very little effort.

why not go for a Bedlington Whippet as would would get the best of both worlds a good bushing dog (if trained right) and it would be able to catch what it finds.

(looking for a nice pup myself)

as Scott said sporting dogs a good site and theres a bloke by the name of Mars got some good looking pup (Sire paterdale/border/russel x daughter of the sire) there good lucking pups but if you have 1 of those take a spade and a locator collar.

Stark You will get some feed back if you go with Scotts link.??

Firstly why a terrier i keep B. T.s and a Jack but not to catch rabbits. I use an earth dog to go to ground and a running dog to catch rabbits

And mark Beddy/ Whippet ?? You need to lay of the lard sarrnys my man if you must cross your Whippet put it to a Staffy and + sooner than -

I may be wrong but work first looks second.

As always with Respect Clive.

Hi CCS. Read your post with interest. You must not however disagree with Mark in such a disrespectful way! Are you coming to the show tomorrow? I'm showing a good lurcher that if you were a betting man you could put loads a money on. See you soon Clive.

Norfolk Show Ground awaits

The irrepresible

Lampingman

stark said:
well im definetly not into the digging , im thinking on the lines of eather a wire fox terrier or bedlington ...nothing that can get stuck in a hole ! :unsure:
Sometimes the original idea is the best!

I think both mentioned are superb!

But hey what do I know ? :b

Scott.

CCs personaly i'd never condsider putting Staffie into and running dog, can't see any point in it myself but there you go each to their own.

as for Bedlinton/Whippets i'd never use 1 of my bitch's to produce a litter but if the right litter came along I may well be interested.

Lampy your a gentleman! thought you may have been at Newmarket today. nevermind next time aye.

Lamppy Did not get to the show my self . But one of my young Jacks was Champion puppy lets hope the foxes think about that next season ?

Worker to worker regards Clive.

This is my first post on here, recetly re-found this forum as we have just taken on a rescued whippet of about 11 months which I hope to use for a spot of rabbiting in the autumn as long as the training goes to plan!!

Anway, to get to the topic. I used Jack Russells for many years alongside whippet /greyhound crosses for bushing rabbits and found them to be very effective . You do get the odd one going to ground , but in the 15 years I had Russells I had little problem on the ground I hunted which contained a lot of big gorse patches . Had some excelent sport too !!!

JRT's are a great gutsy little dog that are easy to train and tend not to be to hard.

Tony how come the tails not been docked?

our old Whippet bitch used to try and go to ground, all you'd see is her tail wagging madly.

pipermarking.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back