The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What should I feed my Dalmatian?

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by Emma Nelson, May 3, 2019.

1. Emma Nelson

Emma Nelson New Member Registered

Hi, I’m the very proud, if not slightly exhausted owner of a five month old Dalmatian. I am currently feeding him Burns puppy food, which is what the breeder was feeding him on, but I’m just wondering what to (if I need to at all) change him too. I’m conscious of the diet implications for a Dalmatian and want to make sure I get it right. Any suggestions or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

Ah, I bet he is gorgeous!
    Sorry, can't be any help with regards to food, but as Dalmatians have special dietary requirements, I would suggest asking the breeder or someone with knowledge of Dalmatians. Perhaps the breed club could help or there may be a ‘Dalmatian Facebook group’ offering advice on diet from other owners?

3. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

I'm a fan of raw feeding. You do have to be careful feeding dalmatians raw but it's definitely doable - I don't know the details but there's lots of info online.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Whatever the food it should be low in purine so I'd check which foods contain purine and avoid these (fish, Turkey, venison and liver).

Also it's important to make sure he is well hydrated.