The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What to feed after severe vomiting?

StuartMac

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

My dog's a cross-breed - imagine a half-size Alsatian :) - and, although he's getting on a bit (15 years old), he's never been a fussy eater.

His usual diet is dry food from one of the supermarkets, it's cheap as chips but every 'annual MoT', the vet says he's very fit for his age.

Since Easter, he's had a bout of sometimes vomiting after meals - poor feller threw up twice on Wednesday night and three times on Thursday night, although he hadn't thrown up after his Thursday morning meal ...?

Anyroadup, he seems to be recovering - didn't throw up last night after some fresh chicken pieces ... and, from his behaviour, he's obviously still hungry.

So my question is, what would be the best thing to bulk up his meals for a couple of days?

His Thursday meals, I gave some plain boiled rice mixed with meat gravy - the Thursday night problems might've been because I gave him too much, :unsure: anyway, he now sniffs at rice suspiciously ... :ermm:

Your thoughts ...

Regards,

I always stick with scrambled egg made without milk after mine have been sick or had diarrhoea as its light and easy for the stomach to digest, I wonder what is making him vomit though, one of mine vomits his dinner if he has had a huge drink before or after eating.

Hope he is okay

Agree with that Murplyrules. My Beau who is 13 is fine as a rule, good eater and very fit for his age. If he has a large drink before or particularly after eating he will vomit his dinner. This may not be an instant reaction but may happen later.

I would take him to the vet to get him checked over to rule out any sinister cause for the throwing up...

Welcome to Dog Forum :)

I'd get him checked over too, but it is a well known thing in both cats and dogs as they age that the likelihood that they will vomit really easily increases.

I don't tend to change what Molly is fed after an upset stomach, but part of that is because so many foods make her ill. I go with small portions of what she normally has, feeding the same amount of dinner, but in 3 split portions, checking she's OK and allowing an hour or so between each one.

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. The scrambled egg worked like a charm :flowers: - started him off with a couple of small portions of just that a few hours apart then gradually added bigger and bigger amounts of his normal dry food while reducing the number of meals back to the usual two-a-day.

I was very close to taking him to the vet. - I would've done if he'd continued vomiting on the Saturday - but he was already looking perkier when I posted originally.

Regards,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back