what was your first dog?

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What was the first dog you ever had?

And if you’ve had more dogs since, have you stuck with the same breed?

I’ve always had Labradors!

We had Bonnie the golden lab and then she had a litter and we kept her daughter poppy a black lab! The girls were so different to Dennis, he’s so laid back!

Bea was the first for me and my wife, although there have been others in the family prior to that (mostly collies)! I must admit that I would love a weimaraner but I need a bigger house and a lot of patience

Do dogs we grew up with count?

When I was 4, we moved from England to close to Glasgow. Because of the difference in house prices, we moved to a beautiful big house, not realising that the local area wasn't the best... Long story short, my parents decided they needed a dog, preferably a small male puppy. We went to a local pet shop, and the owner let me into a run with a beautiful 2-year-old female rough collie (my parents weren't the overprotective sort!). She sat in front of me and offered me her paw... Initially my dad said that no, she wasn't what we were after, but the next day he went and collect her. Still miss you, Sheena xx

When I was 10, my parents bought me a Yorkie, Honey. She gave Sheena a new life, took a good year or so to housetrain because we didn't put any effort into it, knew no words beyond sit, and hated going for walks, but was the sweetest-natured dog ever. For the last year or so of her life she was deaf, blind, toothless, diabetic and incontinent, but happy as long as she could find a pile of clothes to curl up in.

My parents had Lancashire Heelers when I was born so I grew up with them, (this was before they were KC recognised). Never owned one myself but still cross a road to talk to anyone I see with one. When we got married we knew we wanted a dog and we were talking about what to get, then we came across a Shetland Sheepdog that wasn't being looked after properly so we persuaded them to let us have her. She would have been laughed out of the show ring but she was a lovely natured dog and made a brilliant pet. We found out more about Shelties and fell for them so various ones came in our family. In fact until I lost my wife we always had at least one.

I can remember when I was about 5 years old I always wanted a puppy but my parents said no...anyway a few months later my Dad came home with a little mongrel we called Scamp, I loved that little dog but my parents didn’t and one day I came home from school to find they’d given it away :( I cried for ages so they brought me a tortoise instead! Funny how things stay in your mind like that....I then went on to have ponies, cats, dogs, guinea pigs and rabbits just to rebel! :) Have had 2 Irish setters, 4 Springers, 2 Old English sheepdogs, a Westie and 2 Jacks, one a Parson ( Lily) and Maggie who was a bit of both ....she was adorable ...as they all were

Whilst growing up my parents bought a Labrador and then a Selyham terrier (not both at the same time)

My very own first dog that I bought for myself was A show type cocker spaniel back in 1967. As years past I had 2 more of the show type. I wasn't even aware then, that there was such a thing as a "Working type". I discovered the working type in 1985 and purchased my first "Worker".
I still have the working type and would be lost without them.
I think that makes 50 years of owning Cocker Spaniels, and nothing else. :rolleyes:

Wow what a great range of stories and breeds we have!
Thank you all for sharing - I have enjoyed reading all of your stories :)

First dog was a mix breed....Poodle x Cocker Spaniel x Terrier. I have no plans of owning that type of mix again, and she was only in my life as a baby, so don't have too many memories with her.

Then I grew up with German Shepherds and Miniature Schnauzers after that. I would love to get a Miniature Schnauzer again someday (right now we have the family one, who is 15 years old), but unless it's a beautiful long-haired German Shepherd, don't see myself ever getting a German Shepherd again.

Between those two breeds, in the family we have had a Pug x Chihuahua mix and a Shih Tzu. I wouldn't seek either of those out again either - although both have been very nice little dogs!

Now I own a Miniature Australian Shepherd, a Chihuahua x Dachshund x, and an American Staffordshire Terrier x (and other breeds - I've done a DNA test on him). I plan to own and breed Miniature Australian Shepherds the rest of my life. I actually ADORE "Chiweenies", so probably will get another someday, and 'Bull Breeds' are not quite the personality I like - so while I'd take another one in; I don't plan to seek one out again. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back