The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What's the best way to have my dog spayed?

StefaniaR

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm really desperate and confused. I've already spoken to 4 different vets and each time got a different opinion on how and when I should spay my dog.

Now the last one gave me two options: to do a "traditional" spay and remove ovaries and uterus, or a "more advanced" one where they only remove the ovaries and leave the uterus. He said the latter is the better because the cuts on the dogs belly are smaller and the recovery is quicker and less painful.

But I'm confused, is it ok not to remove the uterus? What about infections? Will they not come just because we've removed the ovaries? I've been searching the internet for hours but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

Please someone help.

Hi StefaniaR, and welcome to DogForum :)

Hmmmm, I'm not sure that I'd want to leave my dog at risk of pyometra either, so I share your concerns with this one. However, all of the information I can find is about an 'ovary-sparing' spay, rather than removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus, so are you sure that the vet has explained it fully?

The new procedures I can find are the same as a standard human hysterectomy, that is, taking the uterus and cervix, but leaving ovaries and sometimes parts of the fallopian tubes. This does result in a smaller scar and is reputed to have a better outcome in terms of removing the risk of pyometra without having the additional health issues which can come from removing the ovaries (like bone and heart issues, incontinence etc) but because it's a new procedure most vets have not been trained in it, whereas they all do at least a couple of standard spay operations a day. Because of this there must be a higher risk of complications from the surgery, simply because of it not being routine in the way that standard spay operations are.

My dog Molly has spayed bitch incontinence, and although it's not expensive to treat, she doesn't like ending up lying in her own urine sometimes and when that happens she does need an awful lot of baths, clean bedding and grooming. For that reason I'd be interested in seeing some outcomes data for the new procedure with regard to the long term issues that are associated with traditional spaying before deciding that this was a route I'd like to go down with any new dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back