The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When can my 4 month old Kelpie be outside safely?

Owen Parker

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys, long time member here that’s only just getting his first dog! Would love some advice please.

He’s going to be a four month old Kelpie from a working farm, but he’ll only have had his second vaccination for 1 week. I’m keen to get him out as soon as possible, but am fully aware that the general advice is two full weeks.

As an older pup, who’s spent a lot of his time on the farm outside already, is this less of an issue? Could I potentially take him out after 10 days rather than 14?

Thanks in advance guys!

Mine go out straight away, but I pick the places carefully and keep away from other people and dogs. Your call, but if he's already been running around on a working farm then his immune system should be up and running well. Just my opinion and it's your decision that counts.

If you have any pics to share, sure we'd all love to see your new addition! 😊

Hi guys, long time member here that’s only just getting his first dog! Would love some advice please.

He’s going to be a four month old Kelpie from a working farm, but he’ll only have had his second vaccination for 1 week. I’m keen to get him out as soon as possible, but am fully aware that the general advice is two full weeks.

As an older pup, who’s spent a lot of his time on the farm outside already, is this less of an issue? Could I potentially take him out after 10 days rather than 14?

Thanks in advance guys!
Hi Owen,

That’s so exciting you are getting a pup! Kelpies are so gorgeous! I’m currently studying vet med so I can give you some “advice” but as always, ask the vet who administered the vaccine if you aren’t sure. The general recommendation is that you can allow your pup to be out and about after 7 days of its vaccination. By one week their immune systems will have built up an adequate immune response. However, as with any puppy, their immune systems are still relatively delicate so care still needs to be taken with letting them outside, particularly if they are on a farm as the risk of catching other bugs, which aren’t typically associated with living in a city, town, etc. is higher.

Vaccination recommendations can vary according to the type and brand so I would always recommend double checking with the vet but it sounds like he’s probably already got a pretty strong immune system!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back